Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Carry?

(York County)

Default Smart Carry?

Has anyone had any experience using a Smart Carry holster?

I'm new to all of this. Carried for the first time this week. Can't carry much as I work out of state (MD). But definitely want to carry whenever I'm in PA.

I have a Ruger P89 that I carried in a Bianchi inside the waistband holster. It was not really uncomfortable, but neither was it really comfortable. Additionally, I had to wear a fleece vest to cover it up. No problem in winter, but this summer is another question.

The Smart Carry website makes their holsters sound like the neatest thing since sliced bread (what salesman doesn't with his/her product?) The idea of where and how you carry sounds legit, but wanted to get feedback from any who may have experience and would be so kind to comment.

How comfortable is it-standing and sitting?

How concealable is it really?

Is access to the pistol unobstructed?

Thanks in advance!

(Perry County)

Default Re: Smart Carry?

I'm lookiing for a holster for an FNP-9M I just picked up last night. I looked at their website and don't think it would be something I would probably wear. It looks like something you'd wear to protect your manhood while playing sports. I think I would opt for a good OWB holster. I may pick up a cheap Uncle Mike's until I can order one from High Noon.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Chester County)

Slow to draw, uncomfortable when sitting, and obstructs your ability to use a urinal.

I won't use them. Period.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Oh, I forgot to mention:

If you're in the market for a more comfortable IWB holster, see the below link.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...er-review.html
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(York County)

I'm new to all of this so straighten me out if need be... Seems to me that the pistol is what is uncomfortable, not the holster. The muzzle started to poke me and the safety/decocker got me up top. ?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    I'm new to all of this so straighten me out if need be... Seems to me that the pistol is what is uncomfortable, not the holster. The muzzle started to poke me and the safety/decocker got me up top. ?
    Yes and no. Sometimes the gun is uncomfortable & hard to conceal, sometimes the holster causes it.

First, the P89 isn't a small or light pistol by any means. You'll almost definitely be more comfortable carrying a smaller/lighter pistol. There is a world of difference between IWBing a P89 and IWBing a small Glock or Kahr or Lightweight Officer's 1911. Personally, I doubt I could carry a P89 comfortably in ANY holster that was IWB. But that's just me. I'm not a big guy -- you could be 6' and 200lbs+ and be fine with one. It depends on you, not me

Second, you can compensate for a big gun by using a better or different holster. Bianchi is, almost as a rule, not going to be as comfortable (or as concealable) as some of the higher end holsters. This is because their products, while not quite "one size fits all" are about as close as you can get in the holster world. In contrast, a maker like Milt Sparks, or Del Fatti, or Alessi, or Kramer, can make a holster that will fit, exactly, the gun you're carrying. And they'll make it to fit your body however you want, using whatever attachment system you want to fit the exact belt width you specify. Cant, material, how high it sits -- they can tailor all of that. And when it is all done right you end up with the best concealment and comfort for your body type.

Are some folks lucky enough that Bianchi or Galco or Uncle Mike's fit them just fine? Sure, but I'm not lucky enough to be in that group. Just by way of example: I can carry (even though I never do anymore) a Glock 20 or Glock 35 (which are both big guns) OWB in a Milt Sparks and they absolutely disappear under a t-shirt. If I try the same in a Bianchi or Galco it looks like I'm trying to hide a six pack on my waist. It's all about good holster choices, basically.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 23rd, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    I'm new to all of this. Carried for the first time this week.
    Not sure about the Smart Carry, but just wanted to say congratulations on your carrying for the first time! Welcome to the land of the free...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(York County)

Chambered Round: Thanks for the congratulations and warm welcome.

Rule105b: Thanks for the info. I am about 6' 200 lbs. The P89 disappers quite nicely under a vest even in the Bianchi. It seems to disappear pretty well even under a t-shirt. My brother in law seems to disagree, but he was looking for it. I knew the Ruger was a bit bulky when I bought it, but like Rugers and this pistol seemed to be reliable, etc. It shoots pretty well for me. I do have two other pistols that are smaller-a S & W Sigma (9mm) and a Sig P232 (.380). I guess the Single Six I also have really isn't a carry option! The Sig is small and could probably fit in my pocket. It is actually my wife's. She'e encouraged me to carry it, but I want her to start carrying one of these days and if I'm carrying her gun she'll be discouraged to carry.

I guess with an OWB holster you just cover up with a t-shirt?

Any other comments on what to use, where on your waist to put it, etc. would be welcome.

Also, what about shoulder rig's? I know I'd have to wear something over it, but some seem to think they are uncomfortable.

Also, are there stores you can actually take your gun to and try on the holster in the gun? Don't mind spending money on a holster. But don't want to spend a lot of money unless I know its gonna work for me.

Thanks!

I just bought my second smart carry. The first was for a large frame Tarus and I had trouble sitting with it in place. This time I bought a medium for my Glock 23 and Kimber ProCDP2 "4 inch" 1911. I still can't get it away from the crotch seam. I guess that I am short waisted and have a 60 year old gut. Charlie says that his 1911 goes down one pants leg, but I can't see how since the "apron" is so wide. It also rubs the fron insides of my legs. Any help would be appreciated as I really would like for this holster to work.
    Thanks!

Its irritating at first, you eventually do become used to it though and not notice it as much. That could be because i put my XD9 SC in there though.
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast