Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default parole from county jail?

The title is a bit odd, so I will describe my question here.
    I have a buddy who was arrested and sent to jail for 30 days to 6 months for his 2nd DUI. He was told he would do 30 days, but they would try to approve a "home plan" (as he calls it) so he can go back to his home in WV. He thinks he wont be able to, and he asked me if he could stay at my house (here in PA) IF they release him. He feels they wont release him out of state to go home.

I hate the fact that I dont know more details about his sentence than this. My question is......If you get a 6 month sentence, and 30 days of it is jail, what is the rest of it considered?....Parole?....Probation? Either way, if they release him to my house, will I have to remove all my firearms, reloading equipment, etc?

**its county jail, and he is in the work release program

If I posted this in the wrong area, please move it
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; November 21st, 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added more info
    You are only here for a short while, make it fun

(Chester County)

Default Re: parole from county jail?

If you are released from incarceration it is considered parole. Otherwise, they are basically the same thing.

If he was to stay with you his PO may make it an issue with your firearms but legally, as long as he does not have access to them you should be perfectly fine.

As far as getting out of state, it can be done but it takes time. I had a friend who was actually on orders in PA and did a short time after he got out of the military and had to wait about three months to get his parole transferred to his home state.

(Butler County)

my house is full of guns, most of which are hanging on the wall (empty of course), but I have 5 guns just sitting in this basement room that I use as my hangout area (3 pistols, 2 rifles plus a full reloading area with all the trimmings). I dont have a gun safe. I have no REAL way of securing my guns other than keeping them empty and the ammo secure.
    Im not used to having to think about what I should or shouldn't do with my guns in my own house until now.
    I wear a gun most days, so that wouldn't be an issue because I have control, but what happens when I go to bed?. If it becomes an issue, I am not willing to move my guns to another house just to accommodate this.
    I think my friend may be fucked if this issue is a point of contention. I wont remove my guns from my house. Im not the criminal lol

(Blair County)

I worked for a dui court for several years. I know in my county the POs and judge said weapons in house was a no way. I can remember a couple cases such as kids with parents that had to get them out. It was, in this county, a condition of parole. I remember one case like that involving a bow. Im just saying how it was here. I have been out of the loop for some time. Dude better check with his po.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    I worked for a dui court for several years. I know in my county the POs and judge said weapons in house was a no way. I can remember a couple cases such as kids with parents that had to get them out. It was, in this county, a condition of parole. I remember one case like that involving a bow. Im just saying how it was here. I have been out of the loop for some time. Dude better check with his po.
    thanks for the added info. I forgot to mention I have 2 compound bows and a crossbow. This situation is looking really bad for him lol.
    I want to help, but I will NOT alter my way of living to that extent, especially if it has the potential to be MONTHS.

I would basically have to empty my house for him to be here it seems.
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; November 21st, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

A 2nd DUI? This may sound harsh, but he caused his own problems...let him deal with it himself and maybe he'll learn something from it and quit driving drunk

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    A 2nd DUI? This may sound harsh, but he caused his own problems...let him deal with it himself and maybe he'll learn something from it and quit driving drunk
    agreed. He has a major problem with it

(Monroe County)

He is supposed to do the minimum of 30 in the county jail before considered for parole.
    Parole is releasing him prior to serving a full sentence and the condition of parole may be probation and/or other things too.

Why would you want anybody that irresponsible in your house or near your firearms?

(Monroe County)

Never mind the guns, if you have a good booze collection, you may want to take that out of the house.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

if i had a friend who was serving 30 days to six months for his 2nd DUI i would not even consider letting him move in with me guns or no guns. if you're stupid enough to get two DUI's you need to stay in jail and hopefully learn something. i admire your desire to help your friend but getting out of jail early really may not be the best thing for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast