Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 18 year old with handgun related question

If my father/mother pass's down a handgun to me
    Is there anything special I need to do in order to transport it to and from the shooting range?

Default Re: 18 year old with handgun related question

Quote Originally Posted by Elkerb View Post
    If my father/mother pass's down a handgun to me
    Is there anything special I need to do in order to transport it to and from the shooting range?
    Keep it unloaded (gun can be transported on your person if you like provided it is unloaded) and go directly to and from the range without any stops in-between. That's about it.

ETA: Here's the definition of loaded according to the UFA
    "Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Butler County)

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    Last edited by DonM55; April 6th, 2011 at 01:26 AM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    ...(gun can be transported on your person if you like provided it is unloaded) ...
    Not if you are in a vehicle. If in a vehicle, to carry on your person, loaded or unloaded, you must have a LTCF. And since he is 18 he is not yet eligible to get one.

It can be carried in a vehicle but it must be unloaded and the rounds must be separate from the gun. If in a car, the best place for everything is in the trunk. If in something else the best place is where it is not readily available. And to reiterate, you have to go straight to and return straight from the range with no stops in between. And no stops means just that, no stopping at the Qwiky Mart for gas, or McDonald's for lunch (even through the drive through), or even to just buy a soda.

Now, if he is walking to the range, he can legally carry it openly. Just remember that it cannot be covered by anything (jacket, sweatshirt, raincoat, etc.).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Not if you are in a vehicle. If in a vehicle, to carry on your person, loaded or unloaded, you must have a LTCF. And since he is 18 he is not yet eligible to get one.
    What prohibits him from carrying it (not loaded as defined in §6102) on his person while transporting it per §6106(b)(4), provided the ammunition is in a separate container?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    What prohibits him from carrying it (not loaded as defined in §6102) on his person while transporting it per §6106(b)(4), provided the ammunition is in a separate container?
    You're right I missed that. My apologies. However, if stopped by a LEO (with their vast knowledge of the gun laws ), I would suspect that the person would still get jacked up until it was clarified by someone other than the person carrying the gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You're right I missed that. My apologies. However, if stopped by a LEO (with their vast knowledge of the gun laws ), I would suspect that the person would still get jacked up until it was clarified by someone other than the person carrying the gun.
    gotcha

I agree, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that specifically prohibited carrying the firearm on your person.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    §6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.—
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.—The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with rifle, pistol, or revolver, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded.
    You're quoting from an outdated source. That exception was changed in 2005 to the current:

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    Act 2005-66, § 3, in subsec. (b)(4), substituted "a firearm" for "rifle, pistol, or revolver" and "the firearm is not loaded" for "the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded";
    IANAL

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the help

(Chester County)

To be safe and absolutely legal with no "grey" areas.... Keep the gun unloaded and cased. Keep the ammo in a separate container, range bag, etc... Go directly to and from the range. Do not make any pitstops for anything.

Welcome to the forums and good shooting.
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; April 6th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast