Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mississippi Katrina Gun Story

My big truck broke down in Gulfport, Ms today and I was talking about the situation in Mississippi during hurricane Katrina with the mechanic. We all know that firearms were confiscated in New Orleans, but here in Mississippi it was a totally different matter. It seems about a week or two after the storm hit, this mechanic was coming back down to Gulfport from his brothers house in northern Mississippi. Having heard that there was a lot of rifraff running around down here, he armed himself with his 9mm pistol. As he's driving he notices a police roadblock up ahead. He pops the loaded round out, pulls the mag and places it on his dashboard, and throws the now empty gun in the glove box. (In Ms, you're legal to carry if the gun is mt and seperated from the ammo). As he pulls up to the cops, one comes to his window and asks where's he's going, etc, and looks at his ID to see if he lives in the area. Just before he drives off the cop notices the mag and says to him, "What do you got there?" The guy told me he thinks he's gonna get arrested now. He says the cop told him to give him the mag, and asks him where the pistol was. He told him it was in the glove box. The cop told him to give him the gun. So he did. The cop then takes the mag, installs it, pops a round in the chamber, puts the safety on and hands it back to him, telling him to be careful as there still was a lot of stuff going on down there by the coast. I had heard that the authorities in Mississippi were encouraging folks to arm themselves for protection. This firsthand account tells me it all was true.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Mississippi Katrina Gun Story

I guess there are good Cops out there.
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Bucks County)

Good stuff.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Mississippi Katrina Gun Story

I lived & worked in Starkville in '93 - it's a DIFFERENT place down there, to be sure, but they got the RIGHT mindset about firearms! Crawfish, too...

(Montgomery County)

Always a pleasure reading a positive LEO encounter.

(Washington County)

This should be the only sorts of encounter with responsible owners that we should read about.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    My big truck broke down in Gulfport, Ms today and I was talking about the situation in Mississippi during hurricane Katrina with the mechanic. We all know that firearms were confiscated in New Orleans, but here in Mississippi it was a totally different matter. It seems about a week or two after the storm hit, this mechanic was coming back down to Gulfport from his brothers house in northern Mississippi. Having heard that there was a lot of rifraff running around down here, he armed himself with his 9mm pistol. As he's driving he notices a police roadblock up ahead. He pops the loaded round out, pulls the mag and places it on his dashboard, and throws the now empty gun in the glove box. (In Ms, you're legal to carry if the gun is mt and seperated from the ammo). As he pulls up to the cops, one comes to his window and asks where's he's going, etc, and looks at his ID to see if he lives in the area. Just before he drives off the cop notices the mag and says to him, "What do you got there?" The guy told me he thinks he's gonna get arrested now. He says the cop told him to give him the mag, and asks him where the pistol was. He told him it was in the glove box. The cop told him to give him the gun. So he did. The cop then takes the mag, installs it, pops a round in the chamber, puts the safety on and hands it back to him, telling him to be careful as there still was a lot of stuff going on down there by the coast. I had heard that the authorities in Mississippi were encouraging folks to arm themselves for protection. This firsthand account tells me it all was true.
    Wow, thats a new one. Kudos to the cop!