Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent!

(Montgomery County)

Default Urgent!

My friend was coming home from Boston via Amtrak. Several items fell out of his wallet and a police officer helped him pick the stuff up. He noticed his handgun permit. The officer then asked if he was carrying, which he was not. For two reasons, no mass. permit and not legal on Amtrak. So then the officer informs him that he cannot carry in Philadelphia with a "Chester county" permit. Now I instantly go ballistic when I hear him telling me this story.. However, i realise I've been out of the loop. Can anyone tell me if any legislation of judicial orders have been made that prohibit carry in Philadelphia if the permit wasn't issued in Philadelphia before I call and write a letter of complaint...

Thanks in advance!

-T

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Urgent!

The police officer was blowing smoke up your friend's rear end. Any Pennsylvania LTCF is good statewide. Download a copy of Section 6109 elsewhere from this site.

(Clinton County)

The cop is screwed up, Philadelphia IS a county not part of any other county.

(Delaware County)

From our web page:

http://www.pafoa.org/concealed-carry/
    Pennsylvania LTCF's are available to both residents and non-residents and are valid for 5 years. For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department. It should be noted that permits issued by one county must be honored by all counties including Philadelphia regardless of rumors to the contrary.

(Montgomery County)

That is exactly what I thought!!!! I just wanted to make sure someone didn't declare some sort of state of emergency or other BS and get something through before I wrote a letter...

(Philadelphia County)

Why would it be illegal to carry on amtrak ?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaVr6 View Post
    Why would it be illegal to carry on amtrak ?
    I'd imagine it's not illegal, just against their rules.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    I'd imagine it's not illegal, just against their rules.
    It is illegal. The whole Amtrak system, nationwide, is under the jurisdiction of Washington D.C. laws. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...49471&ssid=149

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    It is illegal. The whole Amtrak system, nationwide, is under the jurisdiction of Washington D.C. laws. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...49471&ssid=149
    First -- I am NOT a lawyer but I am not all sure that the Governing Law statement means what you seem to imply that it means. I have reviewed and/or signed many dozens of contracts in the course of my business and every single one of them has a section titled Governing Law. In the context of business contracts it basically mean that if the parties of this contract are going to sue each other that said law suits must be filled and adjudicated in XYZ state and will be governed by the laws of XYZ state. Every company and lawyer always wants the clause to stated "their" state. I have a feeling that the Governing Law section on the Amtrak web site refers to the contract that exists between the paying passenger and Amtrak. I find it hard to believe that a passenger on an Amtrak train in CA is governed by laws of the City of Washington D.C. All of that said, I do seem to remember reading that it is illegal to carry on an Amtrak train. It is definitely against their policies.

Amtrak is another of those quasi U.S. government agencies so that probably comes into play on this issue. They also have their own policy agency which I am told is technically counted as a Federal law enforcement agency.

(Northumberland County)

As for being Illegal on Amtrak, no comment, not an attorney.
    HOWEVER, as for carrying in Philadelphia, I am headed down there this week for a conference, I called my wife's cousin, who is a Sgt. for philly PD. He TOLD me to bring a gun. I asked about the permit, he said it was a state wide permit, and of course its good down there.
    Dont know where this other guy is getting from...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast