Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Single shot rifles

I like the concept of a gun that I can change calibers with the change of a barrel, ie, Rossi, TC etc. The problem is I can never find the calibers that I want. I would love to shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum or a .50 BMG, but would hate to spend the money on a rifle like that and end up not liking it. If I could buy a barrel, I'm thinking the price wouldn't be to bad if it ended up in the back of the gun safe. What calibers would anyone like to try in a single shot rifle? Joe

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Single shot rifles

My preference is single shot rifles, specifically H&R/NEF top-breaks. I have an assortment of chamberings, from .22Hornet on up to .450 Sharps Express(45-120 at modern smokeless pressures, think 460WbyMag power in a buffalo cartridge).

I don't mean to discourage you, but your gun selection will improve if you cure yourself of magnumnitus. Its just a nasty disease that taxes your wallet as much as your shoulder just for the ability to prove to the rest of the folks at the range that you may be over-compensating for something. lol

What kind of single shot do you like? Break-top? Falling block? Rolling block? Bolt action? With exception of some heavy built bolt guns, most of your single shots cannot handle the 338 or 50 cal cartridges due to their size, pressures, and bolt thrust. Most single shots these days are built on smaller dimensional frames to save weight and costs.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Right now I own 3 Ruger no. 1's, .220 swift, 30.06, and .375 H&H mag. I also have a break open 45-70 made by H&R. The .220 was special ordered by me about 30 years ago. I love that gun. See, I'm not really into the big magnums, I just want to shoot one to see what all the fuss is about. Joe

(Lycoming County)

Just standard Varmint rounds as thats all I want to or need to shoot...dont deer hunt anymore so no need really for that type of round. A NEF in .223 is my Varmint gun.works well. And to be honest they already make barrels in all the calibers I want/need....22 Hornet/.223/.204//.243/25-06/.22-250/ and 45-70 if I desired a different round(but no need for it really) i cant think of much else i want/need. actually for Woodchucks .223 will do just about anything you want so all i really "need" is that. Id rather have a Ruger No1 but its one of those $$$ issues lol.
    Last edited by CBennett; July 7th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffler man View Post
    Right now I own 3 Ruger no. 1's, .220 swift, 30.06, and .375 H&H mag. I also have a break open 45-70 made by H&R. The .220 was special ordered by me about 30 years ago. I love that gun. See, I'm not really into the big magnums, I just want to shoot one to see what all the fuss is about. Joe
    Ruger #1's are very nice guns. Expensive, but nice. One of my uncles has on in .220Swift as well. I too have a Handi in 45-70, also a Buffalo Classic in 45-70, and another that I reamed to 45-120. People often snub their noses up at them, but the dollar-per-performance factor makes them top dogs. There was article written a few years ago comparing a Handi versus a $9000 Dakota Model 10. They both performed virtually the same, the small difference couldn't justify the $8700 difference.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97money.html

Instead of buying on of the big'dawg guns, ask around to shoot one. Be sure to offer to buy your own ammo and to offer some $ in compensation. ..it may save you a crap load of money if you don't like the experience.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Knight that's a good idea, I just never see anyone at the range with one of those big guns. The singles are very accurate (except for that Ruger no. 1 forarm tightining thing) and I love the look on peoples faces when they see it's a single shot.

(Butler County)

Maybe a 45/70 buffalo rifle? Replica's aren't too pricey. Browning has a nice single shot that is pricey.

(Luzerne County)

I have the Browning BPCR...worth every penny, an absolutely beautiful rifle.
    I have been keen on single shots since I started buying my own guns. T/C Contenders, an Encore, Ruger #1, The Browning already noted, an H&R in .45-70, a number of different .22s, my BT-99 Trap gun. And then there are the muzzleloaders.....
    Of these, the most differentiated offerings will be available in the T/C guns. Between the Contender and the Encore and considering after market barrel makers like SSK and Bullberry, there are literally hundreds of possible chamberings.
    Barrels for the Encore can be had chambered for a number of VERY powerful cartridges .
    I've considered an Encore barrel from SSK in 470 Nitro but have not pursued it....do I really want to fire that big cartridge (or the .416 Rigby) in a seven pound rifle? No.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

I have a T/C ProHunter - Love it!

So far I have barrels in the following calibers
    45/70 - 18'' blued and ported
    223 - 28'' stainless
    12ga - rifles - very accurate!
    and a custom 308 bull barrel - shoots clover leaf groups @ 100 yds - dying to try it out at longer ranges.

Custom barrels are expensive but worth the money. Thinking of a 260 Remington or 6.5mm Grendel for my next barrel.
    I think you can get a 338 made for it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffler man View Post
    I like the concept of a gun that I can change calibers with the change of a barrel, ie, Rossi, TC etc. The problem is I can never find the calibers that I want. I would love to shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum or a .50 BMG, but would hate to spend the money on a rifle like that and end up not liking it. If I could buy a barrel, I'm thinking the price wouldn't be to bad if it ended up in the back of the gun safe. What calibers would anyone like to try in a single shot rifle? Joe

I love my Rossi Wizard it shoots great will all the rifle barrels I have so far and you don't need to send it back to be fitted for a different barrel like you do with the H&R (NEF) rifles. I have a .308, .223 and 22mag. I also bought one of the black powder barrels and a 12ga shotgun barrel so far. They are cheap and well made.

EDR.
    Every day's a Saturday