Thread: Galil .223

(Westmoreland County)

Default Galil .223

How do these compare against AR's, AK's & FAL's

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Galil .223

Apples and Oranges!

What exactly do you want to know?

I have them all, maybe i can help but we need to know what ytou want to know

Michael Richard Nyman

(Bucks County)

if you're talking about the IMI galil they are considered the top of the line AK and perform well against the FAL, AR and all other AK's except maybe the valmet's. if you're talking about the century galil clone they are decent rifles if you find one that runs. i had one and mine ran fine but there's a host of issues with them and i'm not sure century has ironed out all the bugs. the downside to the century guns is you may get a lemon and the upside is you can usually send it back to century and they'll fix it or replace it. if you want to read up on the century golani rifles checkout www.uzitalk.com and do a search on the golani's.

real IMI galils are very expensive and if you wanted to go with the real deal be prepared to pay around 2500 for the AR model and upwards of 3 grand for the ARM model.

(Monroe County)

The Standard Galil is a 5.56 gun , cannot be compared to a FAL in any way.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    if you're talking about the IMI galil they are considered the top of the line AK and perform well against the FAL, AR and all other AK's except maybe the valmet's. if you're talking about the century galil clone they are decent rifles if you find one that runs. i had one and mine ran fine but there's a host of issues with them and i'm not sure century has ironed out all the bugs. the downside to the century guns is you may get a lemon and the upside is you can usually send it back to century and they'll fix it or replace it. if you want to read up on the century golani rifles checkout www.uzitalk.com and do a search on the golani's.

real IMI galils are very expensive and if you wanted to go with the real deal be prepared to pay around 2500 for the AR model and upwards of 3 grand for the ARM model.
    Thinking about a Galil made from IMI parts on a 'rapid fire' milled receiver.

The use is multiple - Looking for something that has greater reliability than an AR-15 (not looking to start a war here so let's say more abuse resistant) and greater accuracy than an AK (again, not looking to start a war, but most AK's don't shoot anything close to 2 MOA). An overall SHTF battle rifle.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Thinking about a Galil made from IMI parts on a 'rapid fire' milled receiver.

The use is multiple - Looking for something that has greater reliability than an AR-15 (not looking to start a war here so let's say more abuse resistant) and greater accuracy than an AK (again, not looking to start a war, but most AK's don't shoot anything close to 2 MOA). An overall SHTF battle rifle.
    beware of some of the ORF galils because there were many issues with their receivers. things like improper heat treating, out of spec receivers and a few other things. it's my understanding ORF made the receivers for the first batch of the century guns but there were so many issues that century eventually went with another company to manufacture the golani receivers. there's a lengthy thread on uzitalk in regards to flaws in the ORF receivers that you might want to read prior to buying any ORF product.

if you're looking for accuracy i don't think you will find it in any AK regardless the manufacturer. AK's are very reliable rifles and it takes a lot to get them to malfunction but the trade off is you lose a bit in the accuracy department. IMI galils and valmet AK's are probably the two best AK's ever built but i think you'd be very hard pressed to get one to shoot as accurate as an AR15. if you want a tack driver the AR15 can't be beat and is probably one of the most accurate military style rifle the average Joe can buy. i've got over 20 years in the military and own a couple AR15's and i've never had an issue with reliablity. with all that said you might get the accuracy you're looking for out of a norinco NDM86 or yugo m76 in 8mm. the NDM86's are no longer imported and will cost you upwards of 2500. the only yugo m76's available are built by century so who knows how accurate or reliable they might be?

(Monroe County)

MMH, There are few if any Rifles that can take more abuse than an AK, If Downright reliability and Durability is your Goal you cant beat a AK, If lighhtweight and pinpoint Accuracy is your Goal you Cant beat a AR, In the end they are two intermediate Weapons/cartridge but they should not be compared to a FAL/L1A1, the Fal/L1A1 shoots a 7.62x51 Nato round which far outranges the AK/AR15, at 500 yards the FAL bullet still has more energy than the AR has at the Muzzle.

The Galil is a Israeli copy of the AK, its more closer to a Valmet 62/66 and a south African R5 or R4 quality wise, its better than a run of the mill ak, the most distinguishing feature of the Galil is the upturned bolt handle, this accomplished two things 1) it prevents the bolt handle from digging into the back of a soldier when the gun is slung accross the back, 2) it prevents centrifugal force from pulling the gun off target when the gun is fired rapidly on full auto, the famous AK "walk", some AK's such as the YUgos accomplish the samething by cocking the flash suppressor to one side so the gas pressure force the gun back on target during rapid fire.

If you can find a real Israeli made Galil go for it , if you see a rebuilt parts gun becareful with it and check it out properly before you buy.

(Allegheny County)

I have handled Galil's and all I can say about them is they are damn heavy

(Monroe County)

Yes they are heavy, that were one of the main reASONS the Israelis abandoned them for the M16/M4's , that and the fact that they found out the American Taxpayers dont mnind paying for thier new M16's