Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Future of 7MM SAUM

What do you think the future of the SAUM is going to be?

I don't have a current Remington Catalogue , but from what I can see on the internet it looks like Remington may be moving to the 7MM WSM.

Comments Appreciated

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Future of 7MM SAUM

You can always get a new barrel. Try for a 270 wsm. I don't own one, but it seems to be the most popular if your bolt is cut for a magnum and the actions short.

(Lehigh County)

I don't own one - just thinking of getting one

I hear the benchrest folks are using them

I don't want to get a caliber that will not be here - I just like the model 7 in stainless/synthetic and my local gun shop has one there

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Smith View Post
    What do you think the future of the SAUM is going to be?

I don't have a current Remington Catalogue , but from what I can see on the internet it looks like Remington may be moving to the 7MM WSM.

Comments Appreciated
    This question has several answers. The Short Action Ultra Magnums have been around for longer than most people think. The SAUM was introduced back in 2001, when Winchester released their WSM's. For quite a while, the .300 SAUM was quite a bit more popular than the WSM's were, DPMS even had an AR chambered in .300 SAUM, the Panther LR 30S. I don't think they offer that rifle anymore, but you can still find some around if you look.

In the past 4 years or so, the WSM's have really started to catch on; this has kind of left SAUM to the wayside. It's interesting though, because if you asked most people if they knew what a .300 WSM was 5 years ago, they would have not had a clue; BUT if you would have asked them about the .300 SAUM was, plenty of people would have known. I think the WSM's will eventually win out in this popularity contest, but I also don't think it means that the SAUM will disappear anytime soon, or maybe never. The "short magnum" that I think we'll see disappear fairly quickly is the RCM, Ruger Compact Magnum. This one never caught on since there were already 2 other similar cartridges to compete against, and Ruger never pushed it very hard.

Now in terms of buying factory loaded .300 SAUM or 7mm SAUM, I think you'll have a bit more trouble finding some; it'll be more difficult than the WSM's. In terms of finding brass to reload the SAUM, I don't think you'll have any problems. Nosler makes custom brass for it, as well as Remington. The other important thing to remember is that the SAUM brass' parent case is the Remington Ultra Magnum. The .300 RUM is one of those cartridges that a very small number of people follow religiously, and in terms of "BIG" .30's, there aren't many other competitors. Remington made the caliber knowing it wouldn't be the most popular cartridge, but that it would find a niche, and it has. This means that if you were willing to put in the work, you should be able to make your own brass from .300 RUM, even if you couldn't buy SAUM brass.

So I guess the question comes down to this; do you reload or do you only buy factory ammunition? If you only plan on buying 7mm SAUM factory loaded ammunition, then yeah, it could be difficult in 7-10 years. If you reload, you should probably be able to find components for quite a long time. Hope that helps answer your question.

(Lehigh County)

thanks much for the reply

I handload and had discovered Remington makes the brass - but the necks need work and they need to be sorted - but otherwise they are usable.

I also looked into recoil - and (big surprise) in the model 7 is is significant - probobly more than I want.

My current 700 Classic 7MM Rem Mag heavy enough that the recoil is a total non issue

I think I am going to take a pass on this model 7 and go back and work on my 760 carbine in .308 for deer for a while.