Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default So I have this pile of brass...

and want to get into reloading, but not all at once. The budget just wont allow it.

What do I need to do with all the brass first? Tumble clean? Deprime?
    Any suggestions on first stage equipment?

I am going to do this piece meal since I have quite a bit of brass. Any one step is going to take some time.

Thanks for any help!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: So I have this pile of brass...

tumble first

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    and want to get into reloading, but not all at once. The budget just wont allow it.

What do I need to do with all the brass first? Tumble clean? Deprime?
    Any suggestions on first stage equipment?

I am going to do this piece meal since I have quite a bit of brass. Any one step is going to take some time.

Thanks for any help!

Clean, then deprime and size.

(York County)

I like to de-prime first. It lets the tumbler media get into the primer pockets to clean them out too.
    Lee Precision makes some of the most affordable equipment out there. I've been using it for years with no problems. If you're not concerned about being able to reload quickly, or are mainly reloading for rifles, the Breech Lock Challenger Press Kitis a good place to start. You'll still need caliber specific dies to decap, etc. A good reloading manual (or more), and a vernier (dial) caliper.

If you're going to reload pistol cartridges, I'd suggest the Deluxe Turret Press Kit. It isn't that much more, and you can still use it as a single stage press. You'll be able install a rod under the turret to easily use it an an automatic index turret press as you get used to reloading. The auto index has a quick release "turret" that holds all the dies for one caliber at once. When one step is complete, that rod that drops in under the turret will turn the turret 1/3 (3-hole turret) to 1/4 (4-hole turret) turn so you can use the next die. Every complete stroke of the handle (D/U) will advance to the next die.
    It seems like everyone has their own favorite brand of equipment. Dillon, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, and RCBS are some of the popular brands available if you want to shop around, (or drool. )
    The good thing is that all the dies (Except the .50 BMG) are threaded alike and can be interchangeably be used in anyone's equipment. (Actually I haven't worked with Dillon yet so I may have just lied. They can be definitely used interchangeably in the other manufacturer's presses.

(Chester County)

What I do;

Deprime;

Tumble

clean

re-size

reload.

Tumbling then depriming will leave alot of gunk in the decapper/resizing die if the cases are not properly cleaned. Also, I too like to let the tumbling media get into the priming pockets to help clean them out.

(Northumberland County)

Awesome.
    A Place to start!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    What I do;

Deprime;

Tumble

clean

re-size

reload.

Tumbling then depriming will leave alot of gunk in the decapper/resizing die if the cases are not properly cleaned. Also, I too like to let the tumbling media get into the priming pockets to help clean them out.
    +1..same thing I do...gotta love a clean primer pocket..though, sometimes you have to go back and knock out media out of the pockets...kinda annoying.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    +1..same thing I do...gotta love a clean primer pocket..though, sometimes you have to go back and knock out media out of the pockets...kinda annoying.
    Thank you,

I'd forgotten about a site that I ran across one day about doing things "On the cheap". It'll help the original poster too. I'll leave the site address at the bottom.They had this to say about primer pockets:

Case Tumbling Media

Many pet stores carry ground corncob media for small pet bedding. It is usually a little coarser than most normal tumbling media but it should still be perfect for tumbling cases (and not get stuck in flash holes). Prices at my local Petsmart were about 2/3 of the shooting stuff. For ground walnut shells many pet stores sell it in the same grit size as the shooting stuff as "lizard litter" or "bird cage litter." The local price seems to be about a 30 percent cheaper than the shooting product.

You can also try your phone book's yellow pages for an industrial abrasives dealer. While you'll have to buy the corn cob or walnut media in 50 pound bags from them the price is usually about half (or less) of the price from firearms related sources, and it should keep you in clean tumbling media for the next several years. For an extra high polish add a small amount of non-ammonia containing automotive rubbing compound to the corn cob media and run your tumbler for a few minutes before adding the cases.

A word to the wise. If you share your home with furpeople keep your tumbling media covered or you may find some strange "cases" in it. Cats think its a dandy litter box filler.
    Who? Me?
    You mean that's NOT a litter box?

Another case cleaning method that works well in rotary tumbler, like the 1-gallon Thumblers Tumblers, is to use the following media.

2 lb yellow or white corn meal
    1 cup plain table salt
    1/4 cup corn starch
    5 or 6 pieces of scrap 2 x 2 or smaller wood cut into blocks

Add everything to the tumbler, close up the drum, and turn it on for a couple hours. Remove cases from tumbler, shake out the media from cases. You can blow them clean with an airgun or rinse them off if you like. The wooden blocks seems to knock the brass around and keeps media moving in and out of cases. They also seem to add a little extra friction to help polish and clean. Note that corn meal does not clog the flash holes, it's dirt cheap, and lasts for hundreds of rounds!

Thanks to Ron Martinsen for this tip.

Much more can be found here: http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
    Last edited by Don T.; November 19th, 2008 at 09:36 AM.

(Berks County)

I normally (for rifle ammunition):

1. Sort by caliber, while also inspecting the brass and getting rid of any with deformities.

2. Tumble

3. Resize/deprime

4. Tumble again to get rid of the case lube

5. Trim/chamfer/deburr

6. Finish loading (prime, powder charge, seat bullet)

For pistol cartridges, I skip case lube, trimming, chamfering, and deburring, but add a crimp step at the end.

Dave had it first. Sort your brass. Then follow the steps to clean and load. A 9mm will fit inside a .40S&W and mess up you reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast