Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default walther 40 vs FiveSeven?

I own a Walther P99 in .40 S&W, but am interested in an FN FiveSeven.

I am going to go with a suppressor for the Walther if I keep it, and will get a suppressor for the 5.7 if I decide to go with it. I acknowledge that both require aftermarket barrels, and the addition of a suppressor is merely to impress chicks...

my question is, which pistol would serve me better in case of a Zombie/Jihad outbreak?

the 40 has nice stopping power, and from available intel the 5.7 is damned lethal.
    since I can currently afford one or the other, should I stick with what I have (the Walther) or go with the five seven?

please, this is a serious question, and I cannot afford both at this time (mortgage, 2 car payments, student loans, hookers, etc).

So, what would any of you advise and why?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: walther 40 vs FiveSeven?

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    I own a Walther P99 in .40 S&W, but am interested in an FN FiveSeven.

I am going to go with a suppressor for the Walther if I keep it, and will get a suppressor for the 5.7 if I decide to go with it. I acknowledge that both require aftermarket barrels, and the addition of a suppressor is merely to impress chicks...

my question is, which pistol would serve me better in case of a Zombie/Jihad outbreak?

the 40 has nice stopping power, and from available intel the 5.7 is damned lethal.
    since I can currently afford one or the other, should I stick with what I have (the Walther) or go with the five seven?

please, this is a serious question, and I cannot afford both at this time (mortgage, 2 car payments, student loans, hookers, etc).

So, what would any of you advise and why?
    I wasn't all that impressed with terminal ballistics coming out of the civillian 5.7 loads. Reminded me of a 22 magnum in most respects. Since all the loads that can defeat soft body armor have been taken off the market and that was the 5-7's primary appeal, what's the point anymore other than the cool factor? Also, given that the cost of ammunition is prohibitively expensive (it's unlikely that you would train heavily with the afforementioned mortgage, car payments, student loans and hookers) i would just stick with your walther.

As for when Jihad strikes or a zombie apocalipse, you want a rifle. Don't bother yourself with the insignificant increments in lethality afforded by the minor differences in service caliber handguns. All handguns are pretty much the same when it comes to inflicting damage: marginal.

Basically, if you have something that works, use it. I haven't shot another handgun from my collection in years to any significant extent since I decided to make my Glock 19 my all purpose sidearm. As they say, "beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it."
    Last edited by MarcS; January 10th, 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    As for when Jihad strikes or a zombie apocalipse, you want a rifle. Don't bother yourself with the insignificant increments in lethality afforded by the minor differences in service caliber handguns. All handguns are pretty much the same when it comes to inflicting damage: marginal."

You beat me to it Marc

Basically to back up what Mark said, I'd stick with what I already own and train with it. The P99 is a very nice choice of handgun, But if you are thinking of it as a primary firearm for a SHTF situation, You want to re-think that and go with a Rifle.

In combat, pistols are strictly defensive arms whereas Rifles are both Offensive/Defensive. and then there's that range issue. 50 yards vs. 500 or more yards.

For the cost of the Fn - You go get a Romy AK and a few cases of ammo and be prepared for whatever JiHad you think may be coming your way. Or you could go with something else that suits you, I only picked the Romy as it's the cheapest, reliable semi-auto battle caliber rifle I know that you can buy right now.
    Recoil Happens

(Jefferson County)

Would like to add my opinion too:

Unless you're shooting subsonic ammo - the suppressor only helps muffle some of the noise. You still have explosive noise and sonic crack. If you slow the 5.7 down to subsonic speeds, you might as well be shooting 22 rimfire - because accentually thats what you'll have in muzzle energy. Get the muffler for the P99 and save for a rifle.

As for Jihad/zombies - the P99 would be better in my opinion as a sidearm. Zombies aren't smart enough to wear protective gear and probably wont have it on unless it was an on-duty LEO that got zombi-fied. And the Jihad's intend to get martyred anyways or will have explosive vests(win/win). ....so the likeliness of either needing point shaped 22 ammo on either is slim to none. But like the guys said above, get a long gun if its a SHTF situation.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Would like to add my opinion too:

Unless you're shooting subsonic ammo - the suppressor only helps muffle some of the noise. You still have explosive noise and sonic crack. If you slow the 5.7 down to subsonic speeds, you might as well be shooting 22 rimfire - because accentually thats what you'll have in muzzle energy. Get the muffler for the P99 and save for a rifle.
    That's another thing. The subsonic 5-7 ammo has even crappier terminal ballistics than the stuff they market to civis currently. 180gr .40 would be nice and quiet and is really the ammo you should carry anyway (best penetration).

(Allegheny County)

22 Magnum is cheaper and more versitile in smallbore role. I'd want a .22 for overall fun and plinking, a camping/survival kit gun, small game, and overall utility.

If I knew I was likely to get into a gunfight that day, I'd want something as close to a .44 or .45 as I could get, with the best ammo I could get.

(Lehigh County)

thanks for the input. i have a mossberg 590 and an fs2000 for th shtf eventuality, so, i guess I'll stick with the walther. .40 S&W doesn't exactly pull any punches with it's stopping power, and i could put the extra $$$ towards zombie jihadist hoookers.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Fulton County)

yup Marc is right stay away from the 5.7

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    That's another thing. The subsonic 5-7 ammo has even crappier terminal ballistics than the stuff they market to civis currently. 180gr .40 would be nice and quiet and is really the ammo you should carry anyway (best penetration).
    This was going to be my point as well. A suppressor on the 5.7 just would not make real sense to me.

I would definitely stick with the Walther .40 as it would allow you to shop around for ammo deals and train. Ammo costs are continually increasing these days so this is a factor, at least with my own wallet.

(Lehigh County)

Yeah you better avoid the Five Seven, else the Brady Campaign will come for you, your family, and your dog and lynch them all:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/ler/fnh/

Stuff like that makes me sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast