Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Discuss.... don't know if this has been brought up before...

A bad guy busts into your house through a window he shot out trying to evade the police. You have the bad guy at bay on the floor in a prone position with your hand gun. The police bust in, you identify yourself as "the homeowner" but the policeman opens fire on you anyway. He fires six shots at you, shattering your wrist, and hitting you in your legs and chest area....

what do you do?
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Discuss.... don't know if this has been brought up before...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    A bad guy busts into your house through a window he shot out trying to evade the police. You have the bad guy at bay on the floor in a prone position with your hand gun. The police bust in, you identify yourself as "the homeowner" but the policeman opens fire on you anyway. He fires six shots at you, shattering your wrist, and hitting you in your legs and chest area....

what do you do?
    Wow.. this is a fuzzy topic, and it's very hard to say until it would actually happen... which is very plausible these days.

Assuming I would still be alive after I got shot in the leg, wrist, and chest, I would be shouting innocense, and to cease fire... Maybe try to roll to some sort of cover. It really is a lose lose situation. If you somehow manage to fire back (at this point, they are a threat to your life, and possibly your families), they will kill you since your aggression would show guilt, in their eyes. However, if you stand there, they may kill you anyway (considering they already shot you multiple times)...

Honestly, it would be nice to think you could have the suspect in a position to throw them in front of the fire for cover. But unless you really think ahead, that's a fantasy..

I really don't know how to answer the situation you presented. Already being shot numerous times immediately definately puts a switch on things...

III%

(Lawrence County)

see that's what i say. Here's more information. The suspect is on the floor face down in one of your kids bedrooms. you're in the hall way covering him. Your wife is on the phone in your room down the hall with 911. She didn't have time to tell them you have the perp subdued.

My thought was to open fire on the police officer because of what you said, he is now the threat to your life. But then you become the perp.... either way your screwed right?
    Last edited by Bmarshall91; October 15th, 2009 at 10:19 AM.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Monroe County)

Suggest that the local PD be given more range time?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Schuylkill County)

see that's what i say. Here's more information. The suspect is on the floor face down in one of your kids bedrooms. you're in the hall way covering him. Your wife is on the phone in your room down the hall with 911. She didn't have time to tell them you have the perp subdued.

My thought was to open fire on the police officer because of what you said, he is now the threat to your life. But then you become the perp.... either way your screwed right?

Are you talking about that situation that happened a few days ago? Where this actually took place? It sounds familiar, that I had heard it before..

But, yea... I don't know. I mean, you could have your wife waiting outside to tell them when they arrive. However, would you want your family anywhere near what is going on? One very important thing in calling 911 is to explain the entire situation to them. In all honesty, you can't blame them in certain situations, because they don't know the entire scope of what is happening when they arrive. However, that is no excuse to just bust in and start shooting without fully knowing the situation.

But again, I think it's a lose lose. You shoot at the cops, they probably kill you. If you happen to survive, most likely you will be charged for killing cops.

The only thing I can think of is to have someone (wife) to be waiting near the door.. when they come in, or arrive outside, have her tell them that her husband has the perp subdued.

However, with the situation presented... I guess the best thing to do would be to jump into one of the rooms nearest to you, and buy yourself some time to shout at them and try to calm the situation...
    III%

(Westmoreland County)

so its ok for the police to just bust into your house?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou View Post
    Fack no... I think that's one of the big problems encountered. You aren't prepared for that to happen, which helps result in you being shot... or shot at.
    III%

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou View Post
    Well if they know the fleeing armed perp has broken into your home they do have the authority to break your door down I believe.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Well if they know the fleeing armed perp has broken into your home they do have the authority to break your door down I believe.
    True, in the context that the occupants inside were in life-threatening danger. However, if the caller (in this case, wife) just frantically said to 911, "There's a suspect in our house! Come quick!"... that leaves room to believe that the police feel the suspect is still active. This is why that 911 call is so important... even in times of distress, you must fully state the situation as much as possible.

However, if this was said, and they still busted in, I don't believe they can justify that. IANAL, but as far as I know, all the police need is to believe that occupants inside are in direct danger to bust in without a warrant..
    III%

(Monroe County)

but the policeman opens fire on you anyway. He fires six shots at you, shattering your wrist, and hitting you in your legs and chest area....

what do you do?
    Die........
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast