Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default confederate black powder revolver info needed

hey guys...im really interested in getting into black powder revolver shooting...was looking at a confederate brass framed 1851 .44 cal from cabelas since they are only 130 right now. i know already i should get the steel framed but i really am drawn to the classy look of the brass framed. my questions is if i put moderate loads in in, say 15-25 grains, will it be a good shooter for a period of time if i only take it out once every couple months? also hows the accuracy of these guns...could i get between 25-50 yards?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: confederate black powder revolver info needed

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I picked up one of those 1851 Confederate Navy .44 a few months ago.
    I looked at both the 1851 Navy, and 1858 Army. I liked the full frame style of the Army and the grip was a little bigger, but my middle finger knuckle would rub on the trigger guard. The Navy felt better balanced to me, and my knuckle didn't rub.

The brass framed Navy came with a precaution sheet from Cabela's stating that they recommend using no more than 25 grains of FFFg black powder, or equivalent in Pyrodex. The Manufacturers manual suggests using 12-15 grains.
    There is also a Cabela's manual that came with it that says 35 grains, but doesn't specify that it's for steel framed models only.
    The manufacturer is probably just covering their ass with the light recommended load, but I think if I do go over 15, I'll still keep it on the light side of 20.
    For some reason, I seem to remember the clerk saying that these have similar power to a .32 auto. Whether that is an accurate statement or not, I couldn't tell you.

(Lancaster County)

I shot cowboy action for a couple of yesrs and my main pistols were a pair of 1860 steel framed armies.you will find that BP pistols are different from any thing else.very few of the colt style pistols work well from the factory and you will have to play with them to get them to work well.it took me a while.but once BP gets into your blood you won't get it out.take your time and learn your gun..an clean it well.enjoy the smoke.mine with 30gr of 3f pushed a 451cal ball out about 365fps and I could ring a steel gong about 50 yards every time off hand.so they are not toys.and wild bill h. shot a killed a guy at 75 yards with a 36 navy.these were the guns wild west for many years.good luck with your new gun.crazywolf

(Lebanon County)

the brassers look pretty, but if you want to shoot something stick with the steel frames.
    15grains of bp is a superlite load, lite enough that it's no fun, compared to the amount of "work" required to load. and it still requires the same amount of clean up at the end of the day.
    yeah you can shoot from the same pound of powder forever.but those light loads do not produce the kind of fun that will really get you hooked on bp.
    i have an 1860 and an 1858, both in steel, they wil both shoot 35grns all day. that much powder makes all kind of smoke and fire.
    i love the look and feel of the army, but the new model army gets shoot way more often and is "deadly" out to 50yards regularly.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....