Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini 14

(Bucks County)

Default Ruger Mini 14

Hey Guys,

I know you can use the .223 and 5.56 with these, but heres a silly question since I have no experience. Are these anyway comparable to say an AR, M4, or an Ak because the seem to be much cheaper then the other 3. The only real differnece I noticed was the mag size. So would these be usable at all as SHTF gun or no?Thanks in advance!
    "

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger Mini 14

All the research I've done has led me to believe that they are very comparable. The usual biggest complaint with the Mini 14 is the accuracy. This has been fixed a great deal in recent years with a new design (thicker barrel), and generally the Mini-14's come out of the box and have 4" groupings - still pretty darn bad compared to say an AR-15. However, a $30 piece of equipment, a muzzle break, will cut this down to about 2" or so. Adding a strut, which is about a $30 upgrade, easy to do yourself, will get it down even less.

Really, with the new NRA mini 14 option, plus the above improvements, you can easily have a 1" grouping gun (several people have been able to do even better than 1" at 100 yards), for a lot less money than an AR-15.

You do have to consider, however, the cost of mags, as well as the ability to accessorize, both of which are better with the AR-15.

I don't think the NRA mini 14 with the above upgrades is better than an AR-15 or an AK-47, but it is very comparable, and I don't think that you could go wrong with any of these guns.

(Alternatively, getting the standard Mini 14 and cutting the barrel down to 16.5 inches is an option, if you don't like the NRA version - it's more costly that way, though.

Here's a thread on improving the accuracy of the Mini 14

And this is regarding the strut I mentioned, which that thread doesn't mention, this was done not on the NRA version, either, so it'd be better on that
    Last edited by JohnDaniels2006; February 5th, 2009 at 05:06 AM.

(Pike County)

Howdy Fizz.

I have a Mini 14, as well as 2 AR's and an AK. The accuracy for the Mini is about the same as my AK, perhaps a smidge better. The AR's are a bit better.
    Mags for the Mini are a bit more in general than for the others, but not more than premium AR mags. Mags for the Mini are available in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 35, 40, 90, and 100 round caps.
    I shoot the same ammo in the Mini as the AR's, normally whatever brass case I get for the least $$. Never a problem.
    I just put a T-6 stock on the Mini for an upgrade, but it was a choice, not a need.
    Comes down to it, if something happened, I would not feel bad holding any of them, Mini, AR, or AK.

(Franklin County)

mini would be a decent shtf gun... tested and true garand style lock up, great reliability.

i often thought about buying one as a beater, but the accuracy really turned me off... however the new model has me thinking more.

(Allegheny County)

no.

if you want something you can stake your life on in varied cicrumstances you should get an AR.

besides, the price diff is there, but not very large. new mini is what 600-700 ? you can still build an AR for around that if you dont mind the wait on parts. For that money I would get a RRA rifle kit and during the wait look for a lower and stock up on ammo and mags
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=199

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    no.

if you want something you can stake your life on in varied cicrumstances you should get an AR.

besides, the price diff is there, but not very large. new mini is what 600-700 ? you can still build an AR for around that if you dont mind the wait on parts. For that money I would get a RRA rifle kit and during the wait look for a lower and stock up on ammo and mags
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=199
    Dude,
    You are talking over $800 for the RRA once you get stripped lower and pay for shipping on rifle parts and lower and transfer fees for lower.

I would also say the mini is just as reliable if not more so that ar. Accuracy is mini's main drawback. I think they can still be had for around $500.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Bucks County)

Actually, everything I've read indicates the Mini is the more reliable rifle, compared to the AR.

Shawn, why did you answer "No"?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    . I think they can still be had for around $500.
    nope.
    $629, and they are out of stock for the most basic cheapest model.
    new edition ones with 16" bbl are $824, and they are out of stock too.
    I think those come with 1 5-round mag.
    and thats from Buds, usually some of the best prices you can find.

and those are the basic models, that RRA kit is a really nice kit that comes with a 2-stage trigger that will run you around $100 otherwise.

you can also get on a wait list from Del-ton and do the AR a good bit cheaper.
    $485 for an M4gery kit.
    http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm
    so you can do a basic AR at the same price as a basic mini.

I like the mini, if they where the decent cheaper alternate that they used to be I would own one. But for the same price as a del-ton build or $100 less than a RRA build I cant justify it.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; February 5th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.

(Erie County)

As far as reliability goes, the Mini-14 is very hard to beat. As it is based on the Garand action, it just keeps on shooting, whether it's clean or dirty. As for accuracy, it does it's job just fine with factory iron sights, and will hit a torso size target quite well out to the same ranges as a stock AR platform. I do not need to do precision target shooting with mine, it's for defensive purposes only, and does quite well in that role. Mines a 196 series, factory stock, with only an add on John Mason muzzle brake/flash hider.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    Shawn, why did you answer "No"?
    beacuse I disagree that the mini is the right choice for the OP's question. Yes it is decent rifle. Yes it only suffers a little in accuracy. Yes, yes, yes. I like mini's. But he is asking for a rifle for SHTF and there are better choices for not much more money. he didnt even put in a price range.

Do you want to add a flashhider to that mini?
    What about optics?
    Are you going to budget in a change of stock for pistol grip and collapsable stock? that will add money too.
    mags? Aftermarket mini mags have a bad rep. good functioning Ruger mags are $$$ too.
    mag changes not as easy.

and I want to convince Kolione to sell me his

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast