Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Are the statements made by this gunshop worker correct?

A while ago on another forum, I spoke to a gunshop worker in the area about Pennsylvania's handgun laws. He made a lot of statements that I'm unsure about. I wanted to double check with some of you guys so that I know for sure if it's true or false. Here is what he told me (his statements are in red):

Anyone who is under the age of 21 must be supervised by a parent/guardian when possessing a handgun

I asked him about a person who is 18-20 (since I'm 19). He basically told me that I would have to be with my parents if I was shooting a pistol.

In PA, a person needs an LTCF for both concealed AND open carry. A person must be 21 for either open or concealed carry

I already know you need an LTCF for concealed carry (and you have to be 21 for an LTCF). But I know that you don't need one for open carry. I told him this, but he basically said that if I were to OPEN carry a firearm, I would be arrested and go to jail. Is this really true? I remember reading a thread on PAFOA a while back where people said it was ok for a person who is 18-20 to OPEN carry a legally obtained firearm. Could someone please confirm/deny this?

Handguns cannot be gifted by parents to their kids who are 18-20.

I also question this since many people on here said it was ok for pistols to be gifted by parents to someone who is 18-20.

The county sheriff does not have the power to transfer a pistol to anyone who is 18-20.

I'm unsure about this. He may be right, but a while ago on this forum, someone said something about a sheriff doing a handgun transfer to someone who is 18-20. I'm really unsure about the last statement.

So what do you guys think? Did he give me accurate info? Or is some of it false. Thanks in advance. I look forward to everyone's response.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Are the statements made by this gunshop worker correct?

He is wrong on all counts.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    He is wrong on all counts.
    10 blah blah

(York County)

Out of a possible 4/4 score this particuler person you speak of scored a '0'.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.1: Possession of firearm by minor
    (a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.
    (b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.

Keep in mind if there is no law prohibiting something it is legal by default...

Im digging up the others..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, I had a feeling that the things he was saying were incorrect. Do you guys want his name or gun shop telephone number at all (just in case someone feels like having a debate with him, lol) Rep sent

(Tioga County)

He was almost right about needing a LTCF for open carry, but only in Philly, as I recall.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Luzerne County)

Opinions are like a***oles everyone has one. It does not mean that they are correct.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Thanks, I had a feeling that the things he was saying were incorrect. Do you guys want his name or gun shop telephone number at all (just in case someone feels like having a debate with him, lol) Rep sent
    Ask him to provide statutory citations for all of his assertions. Tell him those of us who say he is WRONG can do so to support our assertions.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    He was almost right about needing a LTCF for open carry, but only in Philly, as I recall.
    But only for on the streets of Philly.. If you stay off public domain and on private property entirely you can open carry without a license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Well since I am local to you, I would be interested to know who it is. I can't help but think his name starts with a D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast