Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default CCW in Police Stations and other Police Business Places?

I have some business to tend to and will be meeting with some police officers at the Police Academy in Philly (Off of State Rd.). It's for a non-police business meeting. While I will be stopping by there right after work so I won't be carrying, I was just curious of what the laws/rules/regulations are regarding these places. The question is more generic to all police places, including precincts/stations/official buildings etc. Thanks.

Al

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: CCW in Police Stations and other Police Business Places?

I've OC'd at numerous police stations. Never a problem other than a few dirty looks. Municipal property is generally preempted save for places prohibited by law such as court facilities, etc...
    You will not be allowed to carry in any detention areas, but you prob won't be allowed in those areas *at all*, unless you're being processed through them.
    PSP may differ if the property is state owned. Not sure.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Indiana County)

Wen in doubt, see what the law says: http://paopencarry.org/pa-firearm-law-ss913

Prisoner holding cells are prohibited. Police stations are not.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you both.

Al

(Franklin County)

Find out whatever you can about the entire facility. Assuming it is not a 'stand-alone' station, there may be other considerations.

I visited a station in the evening (CC) where I was buzzed in under the neon "Police" sign. On another occasion, I was back again during normal business hours and when I attempted to use the same entrance I was told to go down the block and come in "main entrance", which just happened to be the public entrance to the county courthouse.

Obviously on this visit, I was obliged to check my firearm before conducting my business.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Find out whatever you can about the entire facility. Assuming it is not a 'stand-alone' station, there may be other considerations.

I visited a station in the evening (CC) where I was buzzed in under the neon "Police" sign. On another occasion, I was back again during normal business hours and when I attempted to use the same entrance I was told to go down the block and come in "main entrance", which just happened to be the public entrance to the county courthouse.

Obviously on this visit, I was obliged to check my firearm before conducting my business.
    Will do for sure! Thanks.

Al

(Lehigh County)

I regularly CC and OC into our LOCAL stations.... Berks Lehigh with no issues. I know about half the officers and they have never had an issue with me carrying - especially the chief (good friend). At any rate, as a courtesy Ill let them know that Im armed (I know that I dont have to - its more just "so they are aware" and dont have an issue should I be printing.)

I think in a Philly PD station your fine (double check on preemption though). I recall somewhere in the "off-limits" sticky that PSP was a no-no, but local PD's are fine.

As always, IANAL... course you know that Al...I, like you, am a computer jockey!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    I regularly CC and OC into our LOCAL stations.... Berks Lehigh with no issues. I know about half the officers and they have never had an issue with me carrying - especially the chief (good friend). At any rate, as a courtesy Ill let them know that Im armed (I know that I dont have to - its more just "so they are aware" and dont have an issue should I be printing.)

I think in a Philly PD station your fine (double check on preemption though). I recall somewhere in the "off-limits" sticky that PSP was a no-no, but local PD's are fine.

As always, IANAL... course you know that Al...I, like you, am a computer jockey!
    Got it!

Al

(Mercer County)

Our police station has a foyer where you speak to the administrative assistant. If you need to go in, she buzzes you in. Once you go through the door, you are in a lobby with a counter to speak with officers. The lobby is blocked off from the rest of the building by a steel mesh "gateway" that only the officers can open. As far as I know, there are no provisions for checking weapons (I can't recall if they are mandated like court facilities).

One time I went for a tour with other borough council members. I didn't carry that day since we were going all over the facility. The two cells were empty, but the code doesn't specify whether or not the detention facility has to be in use or not.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    One time I went for a tour with other borough council members. I didn't carry that day since we were going all over the facility. The two cells were empty, but the code doesn't specify whether or not the detention facility has to be in use or not.
    The presence of holding cells may trigger the definition of 'court facility', which means that firearms are lawfully prohibited, but also that the mandated storage facilities are required.

From 913:
    (f) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

“Court facility.” The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast