Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need load for 300 grain lead using Unique

I'm stumped. I got a batch of 300 grain tcfp lead bullets in 45 long colt and cannot find load data for it in any of my books.

If anyone out there can post some load data for this bullet with Unique powder and their source I would really appreciate it.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Need load for 300 grain lead using Unique

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
    I'm stumped. I got a batch of 300 grain tcfp lead bullets in 45 long colt and cannot find load data for it in any of my books.

If anyone out there can post some load data for this bullet with Unique powder and their source I would really appreciate it.
    Could be that there is no data for that combo. I've been looking. There is data for heavy lead bullet and Unique for the T/C Contender but that's a different animal.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

LYMAN 49th edition has listings for the Thompson Contender for 325 grain bullets, but i think you are asking for a revolver load, no?

Their listings only go to 255 for normal handguns.

Have you tried the LEE book?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

Yep. Lee has one for a 300 grain jacketed bullet, but nothing for a lead one.

Not sure how much difference there is between the two.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Yep. Lee has one for a 300 grain jacketed bullet, but nothing for a lead one.

Not sure how much difference there is between the two.
    You could drop 10% below starting load and begin from there.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

Yea, short of someone posting a good reference that is what I'll do. Standard 255 grain load is 9 grains of unique. Loads been around as long as the powder has.

6 grains Unique should be a safe start, but 45's can be hard to pick a max load, i.e. Where to stop. My revolver is a new vaquero so not as beefy as the blackhawk but will still handle loads that would wreck a colt saa.

Thanks for the help and if anyone finds one please post

(York County)

unique is too fast for optimal performance with 300 grains in this case. should be working with blue dot or 2400. some guys use H110 or W296 in high pressure loads at up to 1200 FPS (22 grains W296, 25Ksi), but this is not in a colt type revolver. i would max a standard (non-blackhawk) single action at 850-900 FPS. 7 grains unique under a 300 will give about 750-800 FPS and 400 foot pounds energy at about 15Ksi, but pressures climb fast after that with unique.

in general, cast bullets can use same powder charge as jacketed bullets with same bearing surface (cylindrical length) and get higher velocity and lower pressure. lead engraves easier than jackets do, and grease grooves reduce bearing surface, and thereby, resistance.

in general, 400 Ksi is deadly on anything that walks on 2 feet, and many things that walk on 4. that being said, i get 255 grain SWC up to 1100 FPS in a 45ACP case in a S&W 25-2 for about 700 foot pounds and can control it easily.

The closest I was able to find is (45 colt, 300 HP/XTP, 6.8 Chg.Wt. of Unique. 690fps) this is from Alliant Powders, reloaders guide 2002 edition. Technical assistances 1-800-276-9337 don't know if that number is still any good.