Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default First time pulled over Pgh

Generally I don't open carry often. However when I'm on my motorcycle, all bets are off on concealing. I just never know if its under my shirt or exposed and I don't spend much time worrying about it.
    Today I'm stopped at a light and a patrol car comes behind me. I didn't think much of it. About 30 seconds after he stopped, he puts his siren and lights on. (I never realized how loud those are. It's ear piercing when your two feet away from it at ear level!) I looked back figuring he needed to go around me but he exited his vehicle and walked up to me.
    He said "Buddy, do you have a permit for that gun?" I said I did and he demanded it. I assume he demanded it because he said, "give it to me".
    His attitude was best described as one of disgust, right out of the car. I gave him my LTCF and he moved my arm away from my side toward the handlebars and told me to keep it away from my gun. No problem. He didn't disarm me nor want to see my DL. He walked back to his car for a few minutes and I waited.
    My assessment of the situation up to this point was that I'm alone with someone who was already mad that I had a gun. He didn't disarm me nor take a long time to do whatever it is they do in there. So I was just gonna wait, get my LTCF back and keep motoring down the road.
    He came back, handed my LTCF to me and said I shouldn't ride around with it exposed for other motorists to get alarmed. I informed him that I generally carry concealed but sometimes the wind will catch my shirt but it wasn't illegal and I didn't feel I should have been stopped. He said if I had done something illegal, I'd have been under arrest by now. That he will stop anyone he sees with a gun.
    So at this point I'm going with my first instinct which was to move on. I asked if I was free to go and he said yes.
    But then stated that he carries while off duty but always conceals it. And that I need to keep it concealed. He said "people like me shouldn't have guns" and thats why he turns these incidents into the Sheriff.
    I said,(drawn back into conversation) that having my gun exposed from the wind while riding my bike with an LTCF isn't against the law. And then he said he didn't care what the law was, that it was irresponsible of me.
    Though I didn't say much, I could feel the hostility toward me increasing with every word we spoke. So I just said Ok officer, I hear you. And that was it. He walked back to his car and I drove away.
    I don't know what "people like me" are.
    Honorably discharged veterans? Home owners? 20+ years in a nice high paying Gov job? Happily married for 19 years with great kids? Never having so much as a parking ticket?(just lucky I guess). Yeah, people like me.

Default Re: First time pulled over Pgh

What dept. was he with? Did you get his name? I think a letter to his chief is in order... WOW!

And he's also going to tell the sheriff and try to get your LTCF revoked?? Double WOW.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; August 4th, 2009 at 05:12 PM.

(Armstrong County)

agreed, Deff get a name and dept. Even ask for a badge number and tell him,
    "people like you shouldn't have badges" and thats why he turns these incidents into the chief.
    Although Im sure it would have led to more problems, but just pull away because after all he already stated you are free to go.

(York County)

...and that's when you kicked him in the nuts.

This encounter is about as bad as it gets. I hope you file a complaint with his superiors. This ass-hat shouldn't have any badge.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    And that I need to keep it concealed. He said "people like me shouldn't have guns" and thats why he turns these incidents into the Sheriff.
    Would this count as official oppression?
    Proud friend of the Noble family.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    What dept. was he with? Did you get his name? I think a letter to his chief is in order... WOW!
    Pittsburgh Police. I did look at the Sargent's name tag.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaProgrammer View Post
    Would this count as official oppression?

I'm thinking, until you get it recorded, you don't have shit. Your word against his. As far as I'm concerned, it certainly falls within the spirit of official oppression. That's why, when this happens, we all need to take EVERY LEGAL remedy available to us.

Until outlaw cops like this cumstain get officially put in his place, they feel empowered to continue.

...not that I'm bitter or anything
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

He said if I had done something illegal, I'd have been under arrest by now. That he will stop anyone he sees with a gun.
    So he came right out and admitted to systematic harassment and official oppression. That's why we all should have PDRs.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    agreed, Deff get a name and dept. Even ask for a badge number and tell him, people like you shouldn't have badges" and thats why he turns these incidents into the chief Although Im sure it would have led to more problems, but just pull away because after all he already stated you are free to go.
    YES!

usually i remain polite and respectful and hold my tounge when around police, i firmly believe that respect is earned and in this case, there was little to no respect given by the LEO, so in my opinion i say fuck 'im. i would have spun the comment around the exact same way. if he can disrespect me like that, then he's getting it right back.

overall though, i think you did well by just keeping fairly quiet and riding away. you're right that it would have caused you more annoyance than it was worth.

(Lawrence County)

Generally I don't open carry often. However when I'm on my motorcycle, all bets are off on concealing. I just never know if its under my shirt or exposed and I don't spend much time worrying about it.
    Today I'm stopped at a light and a patrol car comes behind me. I didn't think much of it. About 30 seconds after he stopped, he puts his siren and lights on. (I never realized how loud those are. It's ear piercing when your two feet away from it at ear level!) I looked back figuring he needed to go around me but he exited his vehicle and walked up to me.
    He said "Buddy, do you have a permit for that gun?" I said I did and he demanded it. I assume he demanded it because he said, "give it to me".
    His attitude was best described as one of disgust, right out of the car. I gave him my LTCF and he moved my arm away from my side toward the handlebars and told me to keep it away from my gun. No problem. He didn't disarm me nor want to see my DL. He walked back to his car for a few minutes and I waited.
    My assessment of the situation up to this point was that I'm alone with someone who was already mad that I had a gun. He didn't disarm me nor take a long time to do whatever it is they do in there. So I was just gonna wait, get my LTCF back and keep motoring down the road.
    He came back, handed my LTCF to me and said I shouldn't ride around with it exposed for other motorists to get alarmed. I informed him that I generally carry concealed but sometimes the wind will catch my shirt but it wasn't illegal and I didn't feel I should have been stopped. He said if I had done something illegal, I'd have been under arrest by now. That he will stop anyone he sees with a gun.
    So at this point I'm going with my first instinct which was to move on. I asked if I was free to go and he said yes.
    But then stated that he carries while off duty but always conceals it. And that I need to keep it concealed. He said "people like me shouldn't have guns" and thats why he turns these incidents into the Sheriff.
    I said,(drawn back into conversation) that having my gun exposed from the wind while riding my bike with an LTCF isn't against the law. And then he said he didn't care what the law was, that it was irresponsible of me.
    Though I didn't say much, I could feel the hostility toward me increasing with every word we spoke. So I just said Ok officer, I hear you. And that was it. He walked back to his car and I drove away.
    I don't know what "people like me" are.
    Honorably discharged veterans? Home owners? 20+ years in a nice high paying Gov job? Happily married for 19 years with great kids? Never having so much as a parking ticket?(just lucky I guess). Yeah, people like me.
    I think you handled the encounter very well, and I also agree that a letter to his CO and the Chief of Police and maybe even the Mayor is in order. He stated he would pull over anyone he see's with a gun and it is obvious to me that that is a total waste of public funds. Maybe a follow up letter to the Sheriff to let him know this is happening wouldn't hurt either, if he is really reporting these incedents to the SO then they should have the OP's side of things also.
    JMHO

knighted4

ARTICAL l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast