Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default I need auto help.

Do I need to replace my tires. I got a tire replaced a few months back and now the wife tells me that front driver's side tire sounds like a helicopter when you go over 45mph. She took it to the shop and the guy told her to replace three tires. Not just the one that is "bad" apparently it has divits in it. I assume he means its feathering. And not replace all 4. His reccomendation is to replace the three oldest tires, as the wear pattern will be different. If we just replace three, wont the 4th tire soon be in the same shape as the one that now supposedly needs replaced?????
    3%

Default Re: I need auto help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Do I need to replace my tires. I got a tire replaced a few months back and now the wife tells me that front driver's side tire sounds like a helicopter when you go over 45mph. She took it to the shop and the guy told her to replace three tires. Not just the one that is "bad" apparently it has divits in it. I assume he means its feathering. And not replace all 4. His reccomendation is to replace the three oldest tires, as the wear pattern will be different. If we just replace three, wont the 4th tire soon be in the same shape as the one that now supposedly needs replaced?????
    If the tires are feathering, cupping, wearing the edges, those are symptoms of a alignment or suspension problem. Is the noisy tire the new one?

It could be the hub bearing also.

If I could see it, and drive it, it would be easier to tell.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    If the tires are feathering, cupping, wearing the edges, those are symptoms of a alignment or suspension problem. Is the noisy tire the new one?

No the one making the noise is not the new one. I was thinking that if I got the noisy one replaced and had an alignment done we should be good right? So long as thats the real problem.

ETA, you wanna see it I'll give you the address and you drive it today. I'm at work til 1800, but the wife is at home.
    3%

(Lehigh County)

You said over 45mph..... does the car start to hop or shake? Maybe lost a few weights and needs to be balanced?? i wouldnt think that would be quite a helicopter sound though...........
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

Quote Originally Posted by spabula View Post
    You said over 45mph..... does the car start to hop or shake? Maybe lost a few weights and needs to be balanced?? i wouldnt think that would be quite a helicopter sound though...........
    Usually if a tire shakes at a certain speed and then stops at a higher speed it's a balance thing. This sounds like a tire that is badly cupped or has a broken band in it.

As far as replacing all 3 old ones, I wouldn't. I'd replace that one (and have them inspect the hub bearing while they are at it), and take it from there. Also don't bother with an alignment unless you are putting 4 brand new tires on it. 99% of alignments are 4 wheel these days and even a days worth of driving on tires makes the alignment less accurate. When I did an alignment it was at the exact same time the new tires went on.

(York County)

Well thanx for the help guys. I am replacng all 4 tires. The others did not even pass the penny test when I finally got home last night. I'm getting 4 tires for the price of three after a rebate and an alignment thrown in for good measure.

Dave W.
    3%

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

Tried to rep yah, but gotta sperad it around.
    3%