Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Lehigh University / Firearms

I think it is time Lehigh changed their firearms policy. The students are being robbed left & right. We all know that one day something will go down on campus and armed students could take care of things way before the University Police show up.
    Why don't these anti-gun schools wise up? There is enough proof that schools with concealed carry work.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Lehigh University / Firearms

I thought about going there for Engineering... and then I thought, that's way too close to Allentown, NJ, and Philly, and to not be able to carry would be pretty crappy... really crappy, actually..
    III%

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I thought about going there for Engineering... and then I thought, that's way too close to Allentown, NJ, and Philly, and to not be able to carry would be pretty crappy... really crappy, actually..
    NIKE:

Please identify the schools that specifically ALLOW carry in any form.............that's gonna be a real short list! School POLICY is just that - a policy. So - carry concealed - tell no one - and put down the vermin when the time comes.

'84 grad here myself - and I frequent the campus day and night. You will read a different outcome in the paper should I be the one they decide to threaten - may I suggest the obituary section in alternate languages

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    NIKE:

Please identify the schools that specifically ALLOW carry in any form.............that's gonna be a real short list! School POLICY is just that - a policy. So - carry concealed - tell no one - and put down the vermin when the time comes.

'84 grad here myself - and I frequent the campus day and night. You will read a different outcome in the paper should I be the one they decide to threaten - may I suggest the obituary section in alternate languages
    My point was that the school is located in a very rough area to chance living in without being able to carry. (of course concealed is a potential option).. however, attending a school in a bad area to begin with is increasing the chances of something happening. I, quite frankly, didn't want my chances increased any more than they already are.
    III%

The way I see it, Lehigh is a private institution and can set its rules just as readily as any other private entity. I don't like it, but I do believe in respecting the rights of private property owners.

This being said, I would also submit that schools that receive taxpayer money are not private and lose the right to prohibit firearms on the grounds of being private. (I'm sure my view isn't consistent with legal reality, but it's how I personally view the situation.)

(Northampton County)

Lehigh is a richy kid school. Which is why they are getting robbed. I personally don't ever go to lehigh without a huge group of friends. I only ever go there when I want to ride my little 20" kid bike. Got chased by a charger, was epic, I hopped the curb to get away and well...he thought he could and bent up his front wheel driver side, hilarious.

(Northampton County)

sjohn26 try concealedcampus.com for more info, I read something else recently about colleges that already have CC but I don't recall where it was.

(Monroe County)

If I were of college age (haha to be that young again) and were barred from my right to defend myself due to some ridiculous and paternally based policy, I would be raising hell about it.
    This is a clear indication that an institute of higher learning doesn't want to treat young men and women like adults but rather to coddle them like little children who are unable to make their own decisions. It is insulting, condescending and dangerous.
    The next student to be assaulted, robbed or raped should name the University as a defendant in a civil suite for being complicit in fostering an environment whereby these types of attacks are able to happen without allowing the victim to exercise his right of self defense. That might get some attention.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg Schlagzeuger View Post
    The way I see it, Lehigh is a private institution and can set its rules just as readily as any other private entity. I don't like it, but I do believe in respecting the rights of private property owners.

This being said, I would also submit that schools that receive taxpayer money are not private and lose the right to prohibit firearms on the grounds of being private. (I'm sure my view isn't consistent with legal reality, but it's how I personally view the situation.)
    Private property owners also have to comply with various laws like building codes, zoning ordinances, etc. and cannot discriminate against various races and ethnicities, so the idea that they're somehow allowed to discriminate against people who believe in and resultingly exercise 2nd Amendment rights is quite frankly absurd. They can't claim safety (or at very least it shouldn't be believed and accepted) because there's such a low percentage of accidents and misuse of firearms such that it falls below other commonly owned objects.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I think it is time Lehigh changed their firearms policy. The students are being robbed left & right. We all know that one day something will go down on campus and armed students could take care of things way before the University Police show up.
    Why don't these anti-gun schools wise up? There is enough proof that schools with concealed carry work.
    It's because they don't really care about safety, it's about maintaining their ideology which is in conflict with gun ownership. It's absolutely disgusting that they willingly and knowingly sacrifice people that way and do so without the slightest hesitance.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; March 15th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Northampton County)

Lehigh University? A rough area? Haha! The robberies are all stemming from a small group of kids who are doing their initiation for a "gang." I am a little bit biased because I went to Temple and lived on the corner of Broad/Dauphin... South Side of Bethlehem is like Kandy Land compared to the shit hole that is North Philly.

Get a pocket holster and carry a LCP or TCP if you are a college student. That's what I did at Temple.
    Last edited by uniballin; March 15th, 2011 at 11:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast