Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Can I bring my gun to a gun show?

I live in VA and tomorrow there is a gun show in VA Beach. I do not have a CCW. I would like to bring it to see about getting a holster and trying the gun in it etc.

Is this allowed?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Can I bring my gun to a gun show?

95% of holsters are made to fit a specific model. Know your model, and look for a holster that is appealing to you and meets your criteria. ie; iwb, owb, high ride, low ride, thumb snap, open top, belt loops, pancake slide on style, etc. Most if not all holsters are actually inside packaging and I doubt the dealers will let people take the packaging apart to let someone who for all they know is a tire kicker try their gun in it. I doubt you would be allowed to wander around with a gun and do that anyway.

Also, do not buy a gun that is "one size fits all", or of low quality like uncle mikes, or some type of nylon garbage.

To be honest you'd be alot better off using google and typing in "your gun here, holster", and seeing what's available. Then if you want, you can order online direct to your house or go to a gun show/shop and see it in person first if you want to go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

I disagree. Take your pistol and try it in the holster. Most holsters are either in ziplock type packages or molded plastic packaging that just snaps open or closed.
    Even though holsters are made to fit specific guns, that doesnt mean they are fit the same or that you will like the way they fit. An example, I recently looked at getting a particular holster that was size specific to my gun. Im glad I was allowed to open the molded package in the store and try the gun in it because the fit was much tighter than I felt was acceptable. I ended up with a very similar type of holster from another manufacturer because it fit the way I wanted it to.
    Holsters are like shoes. You may wear a size 11 but that doesnt mean every brand or model of size 11 shoe will feel good to you.
    Last edited by ray h; February 19th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I know nothing about VA laws or gun shows, and "rules" vary by show promoter/location, but here they make you put a zip tie through the barrel of a handgun brought into a show. Some will let you cut it off to try in holsters, some will not - making that task next to impossible.

Just something to consider, although it may not even be an issue.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I disagree. Take your pistol and try it in the holster. Most holsters are either in ziplock type packages or molded plastic packaging that just snaps open or closed.
    Even though holsters are made to fit specific guns, that doesnt mean they are fit the same or that you will like the way they fit. An example, I recently looked at getting a particular holster that was size specific to my gun. Im glad I was allowed to open the molded package in the store and try the gun in it because the fit was much tighter than I felt was acceptable. I ended up with a very similar type of holster from another manufacturer because it fit the way I wanted it to.
    Holsters are like shoes. You may wear a size 11 but that doesnt mean every brand or model of size 11 shoe will feel good to you.
    Are you new to carrying guns? There are manufacturers directions in the booklet that comes with almost all holsters that tell you how to adjust the passive retention. Your shoe analogy does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Are you new to carrying guns? There are manufacturers directions in the booklet that comes with almost all holsters that tell you how to adjust the passive retention. Your shoe analogy does not work.

It doesnt matter if Im new to carrying or not, Im not new to reading, I know about adjustments and I know some are not adjustable.
    I stand by what I said, some holster fit differently than others.

Just for the record, you were in diapers when I got my first CCW license, but in fairness, I just got back to carrying after many years of not carrying. The "new" Kydex holsters are new to me. I bought my first one a few weeks ago. Im glad I didnt buy the first holster I found without taking it out of the package and sliding a gun in it.
    Last edited by ray h; February 19th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    95% of holsters are made to fit a specific model. Know your model, and look for a holster that is appealing to you and meets your criteria. ie; iwb, owb, high ride, low ride, thumb snap, open top, belt loops, pancake slide on style, etc. Most if not all holsters are actually inside packaging and I doubt the dealers will let people take the packaging apart to let someone who for all they know is a tire kicker try their gun in it. I doubt you would be allowed to wander around with a gun and do that anyway.

Also, do not buy a gun that is "one size fits all", or of low quality like uncle mikes, or some type of nylon garbage.

To be honest you'd be alot better off using google and typing in "your gun here, holster", and seeing what's available. Then if you want, you can order online direct to your house or go to a gun show/shop and see it in person first if you want to go that route.
    Perhaps the OP's concern isn't the gun fitting the holster, but the holster fitting him. Maybe he wants to try on several types of holsters to see what feels the most comfortable.

OP, as Emptymag said, if you carry a gun into a show here, they will make sure it's clear and zip tie the action open. I'm not sure how things work in VA.