Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Homeowner Fatally Shoots Intruder in TX

Homeowner Fatally Shoots Intruder

Not much here, but:

DALLAS -- Police said they don’t expect to file charges against a homeowner who fatally shot a burglar.

Police said a man broke into a home in the 3600 block of Cortez Drive, north of Bachman Lake, at about 2 a.m. Tuesday.

The homeowner was awakened by his pet and saw the intruder on a surveillance system. He shot the intruder inside the home’s detached garage, police said.

The intruder was taken to Parkland Hospital in critical condition. He died a short time later.

People had burglarized the home several times in the last month, according to police.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Homeowner Fatally Shoots Intruder in TX

TX's "after dark" or "at night" clause in some of their laws make virtually all entry onto your lands and in your place of abode a legal turkey shoot.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Pretty much here in Texas, if someone is on your property and you feel like your life or property is in danger you can legally use lethal force. There are also laws that say you can protect someone else's property with lethal force, but this one is sometimes a bit more iffy. Yes, we are quite protected when it comes to what most people would consider a "justified" shoot, and even protection on what some people would not consider such.

(Delaware County)

I would think that night time burglary in Texas is like a Darwin Award type of thing. You are truly taking your own life in your hands. They should all move to NJ or DC. They would be much safer there.

(Chester County)

What really amazes me about all of this is that, notwithstanding the state of the law in Texas, people keep breaking into houses.

What kind of moron decides on a career in burglary, knowing full well that he can be killed with impunity if caught in the act?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

I can just imagine what would happen to a home owner in maryland in that situation! Down there you would have to leave your home if someone breaks in you have no right to self defense in that state. You must retreat unless you have no way out. And even then unless they have a weapon and threaten your life you cannot use deadly force.
    They just shot down two bills that would have changed that but not in an A+ brady bill state no way.
    Talk about a communist state!
    -Dutch

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    -Dutch
    I hope that disease doesn't spread. We live too close.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I can just imagine what would happen to a home owner in maryland in that situation! Down there you would have to leave your home if someone breaks in you have no right to self defense in that state. You must retreat unless you have no way out. And even then unless they have a weapon and threaten your life you cannot use deadly force.
    They just shot down two bills that would have changed that but not in an A+ brady bill state no way.
    -Dutch
    Can not use deadly force if someon threatens you with a weapon? I dont think so, if someone is knowingly endangering my life or those of my loved ones and they are too dumb not to run at the sound of me pumping my 12 ga, then im pulling the trigger. Now, i do not desire to ever hurt somebody, BUT if they are coming to do harm, harm shall be done to them. Laws wont help me or my family if there is a fatality on our side.

(Montgomery County)

That was the point! If you have a way to get out and get away and don't use it and If you do shoot in Md your going to 1. be charged, 2. Become a convicted felon because you will be found guilty, 3. lose your weapon or weapons after they search your home because a crime was comitted in the home. And be damed lucky if you don't go to jail but the family of the victim still has the right to sue you or your estate for wrongful death with a civil suit.
    Like I said Md. got an A+ on the brady bill report card. It's so close to us that I would hate to see someone get caught up in that place. I lived there for a number of years.
    I really like the Florida no retreat law! Now that is how it should be!

(Allegheny County)

I had been recently living in TX for several years as a member of the media, yeah they hated me but the local law loved me...a gun lovin news producer. Lets just say I knew every cop within 90 miles and been to the range with them! To make a long story short while I was adjusting to southern living one of my DPS(TX Statie) buddies explained it to me this way, in Texas you have rights, the right to protect yourself, your property, and have a moral responsibility to protect others. With this being general knowledge there, I can only chalk it off the natural selection when someone gets a butt full of lead for a B & E! You should have seen the look on my face the first time a story rolls of the wires for someone shooting two guys for trying to steal his truck and my boss says it not a story down here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast