Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default woman beaten to death what would you do

i was reading an article about a young pregnant woman being beaten to death in filthydelphia by several men while people just stood by and didn't offer any assitance. if i had been a witness i don't think i could stand there and do nothing while several men are beating a woman to death so i would have to intervene.

philadelphia being the anti-gun city that it is i think i'd have to be concerned with the DA coming after me if i drew my weapon in order to stop the attack. i'd also be concerned with being arrested myself and having my gun confiscated if i ended up having to shoot one or more of the woman's attackers. it's a damn shame that these are things that have to be considered in a life and death situation and may explain in part why bystanders stood by while this unfortunate young woman was beaten to death. i'd be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this issue and what you think you would do if you found yourself in a similar situation.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: woman beaten to death what would you do

The initial news reports were later revised. Turns out it wasn't several men beating on a woman. It was a woman and her boyfriend fighting with her ex-boyfriend and another man. The woman fell and hit her head on the sidewalk causing her death.

(Lancaster County)

Linkage to Article for Information: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...Beating_020811
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

If I had to draw or I had to shoot someone then I think the importance of situation would be much greater than the concern of having my gun confiscated.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    If I had to draw or I had to shoot someone then I think the importance of situation would be much greater than the concern of having my gun confiscated.

at the time the event is ocurring you are correct but i'm talking about the possible consequences afterward including being placed under arrest and having my firearm confiscated. i don't want to spend a minute in any jail especially a jail in philly.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    The initial news reports were later revised. Turns out it wasn't several men beating on a woman. It was a woman and her boyfriend fighting with her ex-boyfriend and another man. The woman fell and hit her head on the sidewalk causing her death.
    the article i read on nbc.com this afternoon said it was five men beating on the woman according to witnesses. regardless how many men were involved the scenario and subsequent question are still valid.

(Delaware County)

Based on the most current reporting, sounds like a domestic that turned unfortunate due to an unlucky blow to the head, not a prolonged beating. Call the police, be a good witness and render medical aid if you are trained to and can do so safely.

Getting involved in a domestic violence situation is a recipe for disaster. What you think is a straightforward 3rd party defense sitiation may, in fact, be very complicated. People you thought you were helping can turn on you in a second.
    Last edited by victory; February 9th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    That's why you carry a Hi-Point with no serial number for just such an occasion.

Disclaimer: The above comment is not legal advise, nor a recommendation of any sort.

(York County)

Presuming the OP's scenario - without the hindsight knowledge now available....

One of the aspects of situational awareness is, to the best of your ability, to know what is actually happening before deciding the appropriate response.

Coming upon a situation involving strangers, one is extremely limited in what could be 'accurately determined with certainty' before taking any physical response. Without being privy to the preceeding interactions, nor being able to know the intent of the actors, it would be extremely difficult to make an informed decision about who (can be or) should be constrained in the situation.

This is one of the reasons that cops, responding in such situations, places everyone under police control - so that the perps and victims can be properly sorted out.

Using deadly force in protection of strangers is a HUGE GAMBLE -- Lesser force is less of a gamble, but may still place you in harms way - either physically or legally.

Having said all that, it would be very disconcerting to feel that one could do nothing - and very demoralizing to do something and then be attacked legally for getting involved.

Self-protection is a far easier situation to justify.

ID

(Delaware County)

The above is spot on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast