Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs down Gun Broker Question?, like it or leave it

Can anyone tell me what I am seeing on gun broker. I was watching a gun for the past week or so and I noticed that the first two bidders was the same guy. Then I posted a few questions to the seller and by 6:00 something that night another bid comes in at $31.00 more than what the gun was at, it also says t. So I checked to see who bid and it was a different person, but the current winning bid that is listed on the front page is the first bidder's name. I guess what I think whats happening is that the people selling it is just pumping the gun up in hopes I come in to buy it. I probably shouldn't give this for advertising but the # of auction is 212233134 and has 1 day 11hours left. Just makes me mad that the first two bids was from the same guy, plus it says to make bids in 5 dollar segments and this one was 31 dollars. I guess I don't trust people on the internet selling things, can this guy be reported.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gun Broker Question?, like it or leave it

It's proxy bidding and what you are seeing is normal.

Fist bidder bids on gun, lets say the hypothetical opening amount of $100.
    First bidder later decides he would pay more than the opening bid and "ups" his maximum bid amount by bidding again. This time he bids $200. The bid remains the opening amount because he is the only bidder so far.

Bidder #2 comes along and decides to bid $130
    The bid is entered. Bidder #1 is still the high bidder due to the proxy bidding system because his "max" bid amount is higher than bidder #2's max amount.
    So the bid is now $131 and bidder #1 is the high bidder.

As for sellers shill bidding, that happens, and there are patterns in bidding that can create suspicion of this tactic, but the one you mention above is not particularly suspicious. As bidders, including first bidders, often up their max amount after bidding once.

Looks normal to me and I've been using auction sites for both buying and selling since you were allowed to sell guns on eBay

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Philadelphia County)

Does gunbroker work the same way as ebay? With ebay, if someone placed a bid against you - but it is not higher than your bid - there will be an automatic counter-bid.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    Does gunbroker work the same way as ebay? With ebay, if someone placed a bid against you - but it is not higher than your bid - there will be an automatic counter-bid.
    Yes, "proxy bidding"

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Gun Broker Question?, like it or leave it

I've found great deals, occasional bargains, and never filed a complaint - NOR had one filed against me - in 3+ years on Gunbroker.

And having been a FORMERLY loyal E-Bay customer (11 years registered - PERFECT 100% rating still!), until they screwed it all up, made you use GAYpal, and other nonsense , I can say that BOTH Auction Arms (I've been registered there since '99!) and Gunbroker are run MUCH more smoothly and professionally, than Fleabay these days.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've found great deals, occasional bargains, and never filed a complaint - NOR had one filed against me - in 3+ years on Gunbroker.

And having been a FORMERLY loyal E-Bay customer (11 years registered - PERFECT 100% rating still!), until they screwed it all up, made you use GAYpal, and other nonsense , I can say that BOTH Auction Arms (I've been registered there since '99!) and Gunbroker are run MUCH more smoothly and professionally, than Fleabay these days.

Yeah, I had gotten fed up with ebay, too. I have not looked on that for some years now.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks Mr. Patriot for the answer so quickly. Just seemed suspicious when I asked the questions there was activity on the auction piece. Seems also that GB has driven up the price of guns also. A lot of them aren't cheap and when you buy one shipping fees and transfer make it even higher of a price. I have been in gun stores where I guy was up set because the dealer would not give him what he thought was fair market (Gun broker amount) value. When looked up, it was worth one thing but gun broker's $ amount was higher. If people are buying guns for higher than blue book it is just not a good thing.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

Looks like people are wising up because the prices I see ( buy now and so on) are high. The gun I'm looking at cost my Dad $200 3 years ago. It is a stevens 16g with 26" bbl. I have a 11 year old and wanted to get one for him. So I go on gun broker there is one for sale right now it is going for $280 plus 25 for shipping + transfer. Making it closer to 330 for a gun that is worth $250.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Thanks Mr. Patriot for the answer so quickly. Just seemed suspicious when I asked the questions there was activity on the auction piece. Seems also that GB has driven up the price of guns also. A lot of them aren't cheap and when you buy one shipping fees and transfer make it even higher of a price. I have been in gun stores where I guy was up set because the dealer would not give him what he thought was fair market (Gun broker amount) value. When looked up, it was worth one thing but gun broker's $ amount was higher. If people are buying guns for higher than blue book it is just not a good thing.

I have seen higher than normal prices on GB as well. GB in is the position of providing a service to those who are looking for specific guns that their gun shops do not usually have. Then you have the issue of buyers bidding against each other, driving the price up further. Have you seen the prices on M1 Carbines lately on CMP's Web site? CMP now offers the M1 Carbines on auction, and the prices have gone up and up!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    I have seen higher than normal prices on GB as well.
    i have 5 guns for sale on broker. they are listed below the price i originally paid for them. i will lose money on all of them if only one bidder bids, or no bidding wars. its not like it used to be.
    FJB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast