Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Confusing city ordinance(jackson, NJ)

Currently live in jackson, nj sadly and am going to be applying for the firearms purchasers ID card and pistol permit shortly. In NJ, townships can regulate firearms and this ordinance confuses me.

[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Jackson 10-27-1997 by Ord. No. 22-97. EN Amendments noted where applicable.]

§ 60-1. Prohibition.

No person shall have in his or her possession a loaded firearm or nocked arrow for any purpose while within 450 feet of any dwelling, business or school or public playground. For purposes of this chapter, the term "firearm" shall be as defined in Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes.

§ 60-2. Exceptions.

The provisions of this chapter shall not be construed to apply to:

A.Persons authorized to carry firearms by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6.

B.The owner or a lessee of property, or person specifically authorized by such owner or lessee, in writing, while on such property, notwithstanding proximity to said property owner's dwelling.

§ 60-3. Violations and penalties.

Any person who violates any one or more sections of this chapter shall be subject to a fine of not more than $1,000 for each separate offense and/or confinement in the Ocean County Jail for a period of not more than 90 days.

§ 60-4. Fees. [Added 2-9-2004 by Ord. No. 10-04]

A.Firearms identification card: $5.

B.Firearms permit: $2.

I live in a townhouse apartment, does that ordinance mean I can only own a firearm for home defense if I get everybody in the 450foot radius's permission? Sorry for the noob question.

David

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Confusing city ordinance(jackson, NJ)

Yes a townhouse is a dwelling like any other house, carries the same legal ramification, its legal to have a legal firearm in a townhouse see item 2 as you pointed out yourself, its illegal for someone without a card/license.
    Heck in some states even a motor home is considerd a legal residence requiring warrants and what not to enter, i believe it is even a federal requirement.

I think you are good to go.

Just shut up and put in for your license/card etc. Your townhouse is a legal residence just like any other house.

On a side note, check out Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club located in Jackson. It has some wonderful facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Yes a townhouse is a dwelling like any other house, carries the same legal ramification, its legal to have a legal firearm in a townhouse see item 2 as you pointed out yourself, its illegal for someone without a card/license.
    Heck in some states even a motor home is considerd a legal residence requiring warrants and what not to enter, i believe it is even a federal requirement.

I think you are good to go.

Just shut up and put in for your license/card etc. Your townhouse is a legal residence just like any other house.
    Thanks! I'm applying next week.

On a side note, check out Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club located in Jackson. It has some wonderful facilities.
    Will do!

You may want to check this out for any future NJ questions...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.p...124400aa370f21
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Since the townhouse is your residence you are able to possess and carry on/in your property pursuant to NJS 2C:39-6e.

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
    As such you would be excepted from the §60-1 prohibition per §60-2A.
    IANAL