Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Separation of Sports Celebrations and 2nd Amendment rights.

I'm not a big sports fan, but I'm glad to hear that a team from my hometown made it big. I don't want to derail any of the other threads with this commentary, so I figured I'd post my own.

First, the obligatory GO PHILLY! HOORAY PHILLIES!

Now on to business - I was alerted to the festivities by mom waking me up to ask me what all the commotion was outside her place. I'm glad we won and all, but why is there a small but noisy group of people who enjoy celebrating their sports team victory and their 2nd amendment rights at the same time - noisily, and within earshot of my poor, scared, anti-gun mother, no less.

I knew one of these types when I was younger. (Not my crowd, dad's friends.) Every major sporting win cost them a few bucks in ammo, and I would guess a ride to prison for an overnighter. I just can't comprehend the logic.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant - It just gets to me. A sports fan may have undone much of the positive progress toward changing her mind that I've made in the past few months. Plus, it bugs me that I can't be there to keep an eye on things. Sometimes I regret moving to the sticks.

I just hope they keep the barrels pointed toward the sky and away from my mother's windows for the rest of the night.

Ooh......sorry, Go Phils!!!
    Last edited by KnightZero; October 29th, 2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Separation of Sports Celebrations and 2nd Amendment rights.

So where these people shooting in the city? That is terrible. That is just more ammo for antis that want to take our rights away. Good luck with getting your mom over to the good guys side.

(Berks County)

If your mother is so anti how accurate can her ability be to identify someone firing a weapon vs. someone shooting off fireworks? There were a lot of fireworks out my way but no one was firing a weapon.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

Unfortunately, she's anti for a reason - I grew up in an area where shootings were all too common, and a bit too close for comfort. There is a chance that some of what she heard was fireworks, but I'm not beyond putting it past a few of the locals discharging a firearm in festive glee.

After a while of living in the aforementioned areas with my mother, even I take heed when she identifies a sound as gunfire. The only difference between then and now is that I now have the means to defend her. She's a smart woman, but she's lived her entire life seeing firearms from the wrong end. I'm the first law-abiding private gun owner that she's known - even our close family has had issues with gun violence among its members. The fact that she has even come to accept the fact that I carry is nothing short of a miracle.

Not every anti is completely unfounded in their reasons, and not every anti is completely uneducated. My mother has never seen a righteous man standing between her and the firearm, simply the firearm standing between the bad guy and an innocent. I'm hoping that by being the "good guy with a gun," that her perspective will eventually change.
    Last edited by KnightZero; October 30th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.