Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Letter to the Editor: Arm every U.S. citizen? What are you thinking ?

I find it hard to believe that some people feel we want to arm everyone

Letter to the Editor: Arm every U.S. citizen? What are you thinking?

http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/app..._Story_1359357

To the Times:

This is my response to the article “Want to feel secure: Arm yourself” written by C. Scott Shields:

Rather than call you crazy, I prefer to ask, “What are you thinking?

Can you imagine a society where all citizens are armed? The unfortunate incidents of random killings resulting from uncontrolled rage would go off the charts. We are not a polite and forgiving society as evidenced by road rage, gang violence, disrespect for others’ rights to assemble, and disrespect for others’ rights to free speech to name a few.

We tend to be racist, disparage our country, flag, and its leadership all in the name and cover of our constitutional rights.

And now we should arm ourselves as a means to feel secure. I don’t think so. I would never go to a shopping mall, church, grocery store, sporting event, or any other place where there are large numbers of gun-bearing individuals.

For that matter, I would never venture out on the roads knowing that I was a potential target of road rage. It can be argued that people kill, not guns, however guns kill when in the hands of people.

If the framers of the Constitution could have predicted the behavior of present-day society, it is doubtful we would have the unabated right to bear arms.

Considering the number of people murdered by guns in this country every year, we should be looking for ways to disarm our society. Give credit to individuals such as Philadelphia Mayor-elect Michael Nutter and other lawmakers who display the courage in legislating against firearms that are the root of such horrendous acts of violence.

ARTHUR A. SHIELDS, CPM

Summerville, S.C.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Letter to the Editor: Arm every U.S. citizen? What are you thinking ?

Some people just dont get it. They fail to listen to reason.

Damage Control