Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Strange situation and question (long)

I got in odd situation today...
    Today after work I stopped at the Dicks Sport and decide to purchase a Rugger 10/22 for plinking on the range. I never purchase firearm(s) at this place so it was new experience for me. Sales person was polite, I filled out paperwork and he performed a background check. Once the background check was confirmed sales guy filled the rest of information about the rifle and called for manager. Manager took rifle, paperwork and we went to the cashier. On the way to the cashier manager asked me to put middle name on the paperwork. Since usually I’m not using my middle name often (I should also say that my middle name long and spelled a bit different in passport and driver license) and also per my habit of working with important paperwork I put copy of driver license in front of me to make sure there are no mistakes in spelling. Seeing this manager told me that he is refusing to make a sale and without further explanation went towards the “for personal only” storage room. Since I was shocked by a very strange explanation I followed the guy and very politely asked him to give me more explanations. He told me that because of my action of checking middle name (I have to know it without looking at the spelling) he is very suspicious and it’s enough for him to refuse to sell. Understanding that he can’t be convinced in any way I asked to destroy or put stamp “denied” or “no sale” or something else on the paperwork (if it can’t be destroyed by the law) so the firearm won’t be connected to me in the future. Manager told me that he is “irritated” by my question(s) and did not give me a reasonable explanation except that he have to keep paperwork as is . It was quiet difficult to just have a casual conversation with the guy. Anyhow, I’m ok with not making purchase in this store but where I can check if he was in his “rights” to make this decision and the biggest question if it’s ok to let him keep all paperwork without any notes or mark-ups on it?????
    I’m a bit lost here since this is first time I’m getting such a response….Would appreciate your thoughts and any help! Thank you!
    Sorry if similar was discussed erlier in this forum...

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Strange situation and question (long)

Quote Originally Posted by avgustin View Post
    I got in odd situation today...
    Today after work I stopped at the Dicks Sport and decide to purchase a Rugger 10/22 for plinking on the range. I never purchase firearm(s) at this place so it was new experience for me. Sales person was polite, I filled out paperwork and he performed a background check. Once the background check was confirmed sales guy filled the rest of information about the rifle and called for manager. Manager took rifle, paperwork and we went to the cashier. On the way to the cashier manager asked me to put middle name on the paperwork. Since usually I’m not using my middle name often (I should also say that my middle name long and spelled a bit different in passport and driver license) and also per my habit of working with important paperwork I put copy of driver license in front of me to make sure there are no mistakes in spelling. Seeing this manager told me that he is refusing to make a sale and without further explanation went towards the “for personal only” storage room. Since I was shocked by a very strange explanation I followed the guy and very politely asked him to give me more explanations. He told me that because of my action of checking middle name (I have to know it without looking at the spelling) he is very suspicious and it’s enough for him to refuse to sell. Understanding that he can’t be convinced in any way I asked to destroy or put stamp “denied” or “no sale” or something else on the paperwork (if it can’t be destroyed by the law) so the firearm won’t be connected to me in the future. Manager told me that he is “irritated” by my question(s) and did not give me a reasonable explanation except that he have to keep paperwork as is . It was quiet difficult to just have a casual conversation with the guy. Anyhow, I’m ok with not making purchase in this store but where I can check if he was in his “rights” to make this decision and the biggest question if it’s ok to let him keep all paperwork without any notes or mark-ups on it?????
    I’m a bit lost here since this is first time I’m getting such a response….Would appreciate your thoughts and any help! Thank you!
    Sorry if similar was discussed erlier in this forum...
    The store manager can decline to make a sale to anyone. I don't know the rules about the paperwork, but you really should learn to spell your middle name.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Delaware County)

1. The sales manager was a dick, from your account of the event.

2. You don't know how to spell your own middle name? I'd be suspicious of you too, honestly.
    Junior

(Westmoreland County)

just out of curiosity...what is your middle name?
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Chester County)

Smile Re: Strange situation and question (long)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    1. The sales manager was a dick, from your account of the event.

2. You don't know how to spell your own middle name? I'd be suspicious of you too, honestly.
    1. yea kind of )
    2. You probably absolutely right ), really never thought of it before this, idiotic habit to recheck EVERYTHING…

Thank you for reply!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    This......

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wishIhada5.0 View Post
    Bob?

10chars
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    The store manager can decline to make a sale to anyone. I don't know the rules about the paperwork, but you really should learn to spell your middle name.
    Yep..got this
    I was puzzled by the situation and manager attitude. He wasn’t busy at the moment and could’ve chat with me since I was curious and not “upset with spittle”...

Thanks for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Bob?

10chars
    Yeah, but he spells it backwards.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by wishIhada5.0 View Post
    Uhm...*cough* It is eh...uhm...One second let me grab my ID and show you.

Sorry OP, I had too

But seriously, even if you find the situation "suspicious," the OP has a good point. What about this paperwork that links the gun to him? What if the store owner just took the rifle home? Then again, I am not sure what paperwork we are even talking about?

Lifetime NRA, SAF, and GOA Member | PAFOA, FOAC, and MSI Contributor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast