Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default On the heels of an uptick in violence that claimed the life of an off-duty cop, Newar

Wow just wow. An off duty cop gets killed waiting in line and the solution from city council is to force businesses to hire armed guards? NJ sucks.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...125205659.html

On the heels of an uptick in violence that claimed the life of an off-duty cop, Newark's city council voted Thursday to require all late-night restaurants that serve less than 20 people at a time to have an armed security guard posted from 9 p.m. to closing.

The vote comes less than two months after veteran Newark police officer William Johnson was gunned down standing at the counter of a fast-food restaurant in New Jersey's largest city waiting for a slice of pizza. He was off-duty at the time and not the intended target of the drive-by shooting.

to read more click the link

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: On the heels of an uptick in violence that claimed the life of an off-duty cop, N

Hmmm, in my typical cynical sense of following the money. Many off duty cops work as private security at times...

I'm sure that isn't the incentive at all...
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Default Re: On the heels of an uptick in violence that claimed the life of an off-duty cop, N

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCo View Post
    Wow just wow. An off duty cop gets killed waiting in line and the solution from city council is to force businesses to hire armed guards? NJ sucks.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...125205659.html

On the heels of an uptick in violence that claimed the life of an off-duty cop, Newark's city council voted Thursday to require all late-night restaurants that serve less than 20 people at a time to have an armed security guard posted from 9 p.m. to closing.

The vote comes less than two months after veteran Newark police officer William Johnson was gunned down standing at the counter of a fast-food restaurant in New Jersey's largest city waiting for a slice of pizza. He was off-duty at the time and not the intended target of the drive-by shooting.

to read more click the link
    I'm not really sure how this is a bad thing for public safety in a place where you cannot get your own license to carry.

It sucks that the companies have to pay for guards, but they'll be putting a lot of people to work, and a lot of (theoretically) good guys with guns will be protecting a lot of the otherwise unprotected, citizens who are denied the right to protect themselves.

I rather suspect the businesses will just raise their prices to compensate for the extra expenses.

I really do despise NJ's laws, but i see this as better than nothing for someone that wishes they could be armed when hitting the 7-eleven in some NJ stinkhole late at night.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

On the upside-------------apply for a job as a hot-dog cart guard, and get a NJ carry permit..............or request permit in advance cause its a condition for employment..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Hmmm, in my typical cynical sense of following the money. Many off duty cops work as private security at times...

I'm sure that isn't the incentive at all...
    Exactly my thought. Can't afford more cops? No problem make private business pay for them.

God I fucking hate NJ.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

I think it's ironic that one of the arguments against carry permits in nj is that it is the "police job to protect you" and now they admit they cannot. Put up the walls and let them have at it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Luzerne County)

And how the hell is an armed guard supposed to stop a drive by shooting? And what happens when the armed guard shoots someone? They will hang him out to dry!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by nycems22 View Post
    And how the hell is an armed guard supposed to stop a drive by shooting? And what happens when the armed guard shoots someone? They will hang him out to dry!
    No they won't, because the only armed guards that will be allowed will be off duty police because your average security guard in NJ can't even get a carry permit.

Since they'd be part of the blue wall of silence, they'd be supported even though they're not working as an officer at the time.

As for stopping a drive by, well they'd use the exact same method they use now to prevent them.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Just what Newark needs, another dumb law that's going to drive small businesses out ever faster than than they already are.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Just what Newark needs, another dumb law that's going to drive small businesses out ever faster than than they already are.
    THIS.^^^^^^^

And it's very unlikely a guard could have done anything in that incident anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast