Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Arms and ammo in same storage location

I almost feel like some sort of goober for even bringing it up, but this weekend, I attended day 2 of hunter safety course with my kids. At one point they were discussing storing arms and ammo and the presenter claimed it was a law that you couldn't store the arms and ammo in the same place (safe, cabinet, closet, etc.) and if convicted, you would lose your right to own firearms.

Now, I'm not the student of the gun laws of PA that some of you are, but I'm reasonably up to date and that sounds like bullshit to me. It was a long day and the whole group was getting antsy, and out of the blue this guy makes this statement and I'm like, "....what? WTF? did he really just say that????" I told the kids, "I gotta check that out, that don't sound right to me." I should have just called him on it right there but we were already spending the whole day on it. Didn't feel like a pissing contest.

I've done a couple searches and came up with nothing. If he's right ( I don't see any way he is) this also means one couldn't store a loaded gun either. I know they've preached the bullshit about arms and ammo in different locations for years as a "safety precaution", but Law??? I don't think so. What do you guys say?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Arms and ammo in same storage location

I've never heard of this. And unless someone can cite a law somewhere, I'll chalk it up to the guy not knowing what he's talking about. He's not a public servent, so to speak, he's an educator. His sole purpose in my opinion is to educate and do so with factual information. I'd speak with him privately as to not embarrass him in front of everybody else.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(York County)

Either you heard incorrectly (end of day and all that), or that "instructor" may be an imbecile.

It isn't even illegal to transport like that. You can have arms and ammo in trunk as long as they are in separate containers. I hope you are able to follow up, there is far too much bad info floating around.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

The Hunter Safety course I took last year in the Poconos did not include that piece of inaccurate information.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Lycoming County)

Your presenter was full of shit..

(Chester County)

If that were true then I'd be breaking the law right now on my right hip. And I would also be breaking it with the revolver I keep in my nightstand. What he may have been taking about is being charged with negligence if a child gets ahold of the gun and hurts himself or a friend... maybe? But that seems like a pretty big FAIL to me.

(Chester County)

The NRA guidelines for safe gun storage state that firearms and ammunition should not be stored together. That is their SAFETY guideline (protects kids, keeps it away from the maid, ect).

There is nothing illegal about keeping a loaded firearm in your home as long as you are legal able to own it.

My guess is that he explained it incorrectly. During my NRA Basic Pistol course it was explained the way I just stated (for safety purposes).
    It's called "WORK" for a reason, they wouldn't pay you for it if it was fun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    I almost feel like some sort of goober for even bringing it up, but this weekend, I attended day 2 of hunter safety course with my kids. At one point they were discussing storing arms and ammo and the presenter claimed it was a law that you couldn't store the arms and ammo in the same place (safe, cabinet, closet, etc.) and if convicted, you would lose your right to own firearms.

Now, I'm not the student of the gun laws of PA that some of you are, but I'm reasonably up to date and that sounds like bullshit to me. It was a long day and the whole group was getting antsy, and out of the blue this guy makes this statement and I'm like, "....what? WTF? did he really just say that????" I told the kids, "I gotta check that out, that don't sound right to me." I should have just called him on it right there but we were already spending the whole day on it. Didn't feel like a pissing contest.

I've done a couple searches and came up with nothing. If he's right ( I don't see any way he is) this also means one couldn't store a loaded gun either. I know they've preached the bullshit about arms and ammo in different locations for years as a "safety precaution", but Law??? I don't think so. What do you guys say?
    No current law PA directly about arms & ammo storage at same location at home.

when arms & ammo are transported together there are very specfic laws about the legality and what is illegal (such as in same container etc), including an improvement part of ACT 10 of 2011 (hb 40 so called castle doctrine), there are also hunting rgulations what is considered "loaded" when transporting firearms that can come into play.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

So there you have it.....it is not illegal to store ammo and firearms together.

Myself, I have two safes. One for unloaded guns/valubles and one for loaded guns and ammo. One is just a safe containing inert objects, the other is subject to much more forethought upon entry.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.