Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Lockable container to store ammunition . . . suggestions?

My swelling ammo supply has started to infringe on gun storage space in my safe recently, so I'm looking to evict some ammo. (sorry, giving it away isn't on the table) I'm looking for a lockable container that can accommodate up to 10,000 rounds. (assume half pistol and half rifle cartridges) At this point I'm thinking an inexpensive Stack-On product might be my best bet, but I'm interested in alternative solutions . . . any suggestions?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Lockable container to store ammunition . . . suggestions?

Where I once worked the boss was big in buying stuff from auctions. He once brought in a bunch of big electrical cabinets. I took one and closed in the holes and added some shelves. That is where I keep my ammo.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

Someone had a thread where they had all their ammo stored in a Job Box, but I'm unable to find the thread right now.

Stack-on's are ok depending upon what you're protecting against. If you want to keep kids out of your ammo it will. They won't keep a person that really wants to get in it though. They're easily peeled open. Job Boxes are more rugged and meant to be more difficult to get open.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Where I once worked the boss was big in buying stuff from auctions. He once brought in a bunch of big electrical cabinets. I took one and closed in the holes and added some shelves. That is where I keep my ammo.
    Cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Someone had a thread where they had all their ammo stored in a Job Box, but I'm unable to find the thread right now.

Stack-on's are ok depending upon what you're protecting against. If you want to keep kids out of your ammo it will. They won't keep a person that really wants to get in it though. They're easily peeled open. Job Boxes are more rugged and meant to be more difficult to get open.
    I remember the thread you're talking about, that was a pretty massive and impressive setup. I'm not looking for anything that intense, primarily just for storage. It doesn't need to repel a determined thief.

(Philadelphia County)

I remember one thread about someone using a Jobox for his firearms.

(Westmoreland County)

Also, maybe consider a large locking tool box made for a pickup truck bed. Different styles of doors and locks and levels of security depending on your needs and budget. You can get them at stores like Tractor Supply or most bigger auto parts chain stores.
    An expensive steel box like the Weatherguard brand is fairly secure. If it is only to keep kids/guests from snooping, a nice aluminum box can be purchased for about $150-$200 on sale. Even a large poly box can be had for less than $100. It all depends on your needs and security concerns.

I sort my ammo by caliber in surplus .50 caliber ammo boxes with a dessicant pack, then label them and stack them into locked boxes. They can be drilled and bolted to the floor or wall too, with another hasp and padlock added.
    A much cheaper option than a Jobox, if that will work for you.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Delaware County)

If you aren't worried about theives and just want something you can throw a lock on you can check out your local thrift shops and flea markets. You might be able to find an old steamer chest or a blanket chest maybe an army foot locker. There will probably be a few different options.

I am looking for something along the lines of a steamer chest so I can use it as a coffee table in my living room. I will be storing my ammo and some other stuff in it.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Northampton County)

Interesting ideas so far, thanks for the input.

Old gym lockers, office files, or tool cabinets are all possibilities. Try Craigslist?

(Bucks County)

There is a flammables cabinet at this auction which are great for storing ammo and other things. Although it is short notice, check the photo gallery towards the bottom. You may be able to place an absentee bid over the phone. Heck you may get it for 50 bucks. You never know at auctions, those cabinets are well made and pretty expensive new.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...932&category=0
    Politicians who fear the people seek to disarm them.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast