Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Vacation stop-over in PA

This summer I will be driving from South Carolina, where I have a concealed permit, to a final week long vacation in Virginia, which has reciprocity with SC. I am also taking a detour into Pennsylvania for 3 days. PA does not have reciprocity with SC. The rules of transport still don't seem clear to me. I would like to bring a pistol and a shotgun with me to use in VA, which would be perfectly legal there. If these were each in their own case locked and all ammo and magazines in a seperate container, also locked, would I be legal?

I hope to get my Arizona non-resident permit to make all of this moot as AZ and PA have reciprocity but I'm not sure if it will arrive before I leave in the end of July.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Vacation stop-over in PA

PA doesn't have reciprocity with SC.

To have a handgun in a vehicle regardless to how you carry it(open/concealed) or it's loaded status requires a license/permit from ANY state. ...PA has statutory reciprocity for a license/permit from ANY state while IN a vehicle.

On foot, you cannot carry in the city limits of Philly because of the lack of reciprocity. Outside of Philly you can OPEN CARRY since no license/permit is needed outside of Philly.

Stay 1000ft from any K-12 grade school since you don't have a PA LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Just as a bit of friendly advice, I'd check your reciprocity with WV, MD, and DE as well, since you'll probably be travelling through one of those states to get into PA.

Thanks for the responses, I managed to find the specific law about reciprocity in your car from all states refining my search to those terms.

As far as my route, I'll be SC, NC, VA and WV on the way to PA, all have SC reciprocity. PA to northern VA will require a brief journey through MD but as long as I don't stop I know I will be fine and should be fine even if it's a small stop for food or gas.

Thanks again