Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Home defense shotgun question.

so i am pondering the home defense shot gun idea and was wondering where you all keep yours. I see keeping it in a gun safe but that would leave the owner fumbling with keys or a combo lock. I have 2 kids so i don't like the idea of just throwing it in a closet or something. Has any one adapted a shotgun lock something like the type that is mounted in a police cruiser or something like that. and if not would that interest anyone if it would be made?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Home defense shotgun question.

I bought the type of lock that's used in the cruisers for both an AR and a Shotgun, just never got around to building it. Right now, the shotgun comes out of the safe every night and goes back in the morning.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clarion County)

I one of the lucky people of the world , I desigh and build custom high end furniture so I have a special hiden compartment on my side of the bed with a magnetic lock but you must know where to hit the "G-spot " with the magnet
    to open it . It'll fit my 12 gauge and my G-36.

Anybody out there interested in doing some thing like this just PM me . I'm still on the mend and bored to death and would gladly for free share my ideas with your own.Very bored.
    Last edited by dman; May 20th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

I know I've seen some wall mounted racks that locked in the shotgun/rifle before but can't remember where. But rest assured it is possible and I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

However, an easy solution if your up for it would be to use a pistol in small fingerprint safe next to the bed at night and keep the pistol on you during the day. That would still provide HD without the problem of what do to with a loaded shotgun around unsupervised children.

I am a big believer in all my guns either being locked up tight or wrapped in leather on my belt. IMO it provides the best security against unwanted access to my guns without compromising HD too much (just stepping down from a shotgun to a handgun). There are ways to keep you shotgun secure yet accessible if you need it, I just think its more trouble than a bolstered handgun. YMMV
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Lehigh County)

I currently use a fingerprint safe for my hand gun i was looking for an option for my shotgun as well. Also looking into a product development idea assuming one dosen't already exist.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1365 View Post
    I currently use a fingerprint safe for my hand gun i was looking for an option for my shotgun as well. Also looking into a product development idea assuming one dosen't already exist.
    I'm sure that a finger print device that's embedded in one of the pistol safes could be easily modified to release one of these. This is what I bought, just haven't built it yet.

(Lehigh County)

thats kind of my idea in a nut shell but the more i look into it the more small issues im coming up with. i.e mounting stability powering the unit considering most people would probably mount it in a closet and how many outlets do you have in your closet. The other is the release if its set to a fingerprint then its only compatable to 1 user. If theres some other type of devise it would be more conducive to multaple users i.e wife older child or whom ever the owner would see fit to use the firearm if/ when the need would arise.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1365 View Post
    thats kind of my idea in a nut shell but the more i look into it the more small issues im coming up with. i.e mounting stability powering the unit considering most people would probably mount it in a closet and how many outlets do you have in your closet. The other is the release if its set to a fingerprint then its only compatable to 1 user. If theres some other type of devise it would be more conducive to multaple users i.e wife older child or whom ever the owner would see fit to use the firearm if/ when the need would arise.
    The release on those locks is operated by 12vdc @ approximately 3A. You could use a 12v battery like is used in a UPS and have it hooked up to a float charger. That way it would still function in the case of a power outage. The finger print scanner could be used to operate a small relay to pass the required voltage to the lock itself.

(Lehigh County)

i have a few options im looking into. I'm in the development stages at this point. One i get a prototype made ill get some pictures up.

(Northampton County)

This is a great idea!

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/147...ck-thingy.html

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Over the weekend I had some extra time, so I worked on a few gun-related projects. This was one of them that I've been planning on doing for awhile.

I've been thinking about an idea for how to store a loaded shotgun next to my bed, while allowing quick access but also being safe from my 2 year old daughter. With a bunch of googling, I eventually found what seemed like the perfect solution: the ShotLock

http://www.shotlock.com/

It mounts on the wall, and holds your shotgun loaded and ready, and releases it upon entering the correct code on the mechanical push-button lock. It keeps the trigger guard covered, and also the slide release, so that you cannot rack the slide while the gun is locked up. It's the perfect solution, except for two things. It cost $169, and it doesn't allow the use of a side-saddle to hold extra ammo.

I came up with a way to make a similar shotgun lock for about 22 bucks. It is probably nowhere near as secure as the ShotLock, but should be enough to keep the gun out of the hands of small children, until they are old enough to learn and understand gun safety. It also allows for very quick access.

I started by buying this lock box from Staples, for just under $22:

With some metal shears, I cut notches in the sides of the box, and covered the sharp edges with some plastic tubing that I cut down the center:

I used special shears that are designed to cut on a curve. I had to keep trimming until there was a perfect fit for the shotgun:

There is just enough space for the side saddle. It is touching the front cover, but still allows it to close. There is also about a 1/4" gap between the back of the shotgun, and the back of the lock box.

Just to reinforce the box, we took a scrap piece of 16 gauge steel and cut it to the approximate size of the box, drilled holes in it for mounting, and painted it black:

Here it is mounted on the wall:

You can see that there are two screws securing it to the wall. They are going into a stud.

This is where I ran into my first problem. The shotgun wanted to slide down in the case, which also caused it to push against the door. This would have been fine if I just left the box locked all the time. But my plan was to leave the box locked during the day, and unlocked at night. As you can see, there is no separate latch besides the lock itself. I am stuck with just leaving the key in the lock at night. But the pressure from the shotgun was causing the door to pop open when the key was inserted. I had to find a way to prop up the shotgun so it would stop pushing on the door. For now, I'm just using one of my wife's ring boxes underneath the trigger guard to hold it up.

Here it is closed:

When I put the key in the lock at night, I pull it out one notch to prevent the lock from popping open. Yeah, it's a little ghetto, but it gets the job done for $22 and still allows me to keep the side saddle on there. It's not too bad looking either. It's mounted right next to my bed. I put the key in the lock right before I go to bed, and I can have the shotgun out and ready in about 2 seconds.

Ultimately, I would have wanted a box that has a separate latch besides the actual lock. That way I could just unlock it, and not have to leave the key in there. But that's all I could find at the time.

Like I said, this is not a super high security solution. It will not stop bad guys from stealing your gun, nor will it stop a determined teenager from getting to it. But it should be enough to stop small children from hurting themselves or someone else. By the time they are old enough to learn how to pick locks, they should be old enough to learn gun safety and have respect for firearms.