Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass

(Monroe County)

Default Brass

sorry if this is in the wrong category, its not really gunsmithing/rifle/handgun or anything category.

since i started shooting, ive collected all the brass shell casings[all calibers as long as it looked clean/unrusted etc. i figured i could scrap it and use it to buy ammo-figuring it'll pay for itself.

does anyone know how much this kind of brass goes for? & where to go about scrapping it?

i figured it'd be best to save up alot before scrapping it[my dad use to do plumbing and would save up the copper] i have a 5 gallon bucket full already which im guessing to be about 30-35 pounds.
    America is the finest country anyone ever stole.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Brass

Check out the For sale ads and even other website on the prices for Once fired brass.. It might be worth your while to sort it and sell it to reloaders vs getting less per pound. Course it may or maynot be worth the extra effort to sell it.

yankee2500 on here sells once fired at what I consider fair prices..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Lehigh County)

i agree, sort it and sell it to us, please don't turn them into door knobs.

(Venango County)

I have a tub full of brass, just waiting to get sorted. As of right now, I only load for the .45, but I have brass for .30 carbine, .223, .380. All kinds of stuff. When I am at the range, and someone breaks out a new box, I ask if they load, if they say yes, I ask for tips. If they say no, I say "Oh, thats ok I guess". And once they leave, I'm scrounging for the brass they left behind.

A little bit of time in the tumbler, and then it gets dropped in the bin. I don't have alot. But I figure if someone I know starts loading for one thing or another, they get it. I give a good friend all of the .40 I find.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Bucks County)

When I scrapped mine it was at 1.50 a lb.
    You can get better rates better places but needless to say I wont be scrapping it anymore, Ill resell my once fired to people here.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Monroe County)

Yeah, sell me the 9mn and 40 s&w

(Monroe County)

i have plenty of 9mm brass since that is what i shoot as well as what i find. i cant sit here and say what caliber i have cuz i have'em all. if its clean brass it goes in my bucket.

i also have copper shells in various calibers. i guess ill have to see what the going price is on here and if someone wants it, get my ass sorting.

(Indiana County)

Maybe you have copper washed steel cases, I doubt it's copper, at least I've never seen copper cases.

That's all junk, barely worth scrapping for steel.

You also need to make sure the actual brass stuff is not berdan primed.

(Lebanon County)

By all means, sort it and sell or trade it to reloaders. I've seen here and other places people asking about the shortage of reloadable brass. The Internet sites that sell it are sold out of a lot of common cases. You'll get a lot more for clean reloadable brass selling it cheap to a reloader than you will selling it for a "good" price to a scrap yard.
    Steel cases and Berdan primers have already been mentioned. If you aren't very familiar with what's typically considered reloadable and what's not I'll give you a few simple guidelines.

If it sticks to a magnet most reloaders won't want it.

If it's corroded and nasty looking most reloaders won't want it.

If it's Berdan primed most reloaders won't want it.
    Berdan primed brass has 2 flash holes instead of one, much easier to see in straightwall pistol brass than bottleneck rifle brass.
    Here are a few that I cut and photographed to show the difference, the two on the left are Berdan primed, the one on the right is Boxer primed

Anything that doesn't stick to a magnet, isn't beat to crap and has a single flash hole is worth more as reloadable brass than it is as scrap.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Monroe County)

thank you mauser! i wasnt sure what berdan primed was.

and as to the copper cases, im sure your right. i jus saw the copper color and said OHHH COPPER!! hahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast