Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Headed to New Jersey for Mother's Day, Please Advise.

Inadvertently left the following in my car.

(3) rounds- .38 special target, .223 fmj, and a .22 caliber hollow point (cop killer)

120 rounds of .223 brass

An instruction manual for a high capacity assault rifle

Target holder and targets for assault rifle

3 inch folding knife

Do I need to get rid of this stuff?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Headed to New Jersey for Mother's Day, Please Advise.

Stop what you are doing go to the window, slowly lift a blind up and look to the sky. Is there a news or police helicopter circling your home? Is there a van parked a few doors down with weird antennas and an occasional shift on it springs? Does your land line or cell phone have a strange echo? Do you hear the sound of chain saws being primed and warmed up? Do you hear a faint whisper at your door that you can barely make out saying” This is the police we have a warrant”?

On a serious note I wouldn't bring anything into the PRNJ. I was stopped a few years back for a tail light that was out and the officer saw a 30 round M16 mag in my back seat along with my helmet, LBV and ruck and he read me the riot about NJ Mag capacities and was going to do something else when his back up showed up asked me if I was in the Army. I said yes showed him my ID and he said have a good night drive safe. He then had an animated conversation with the other officer.
    Last edited by DennisH82; May 11th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

(Bucks County)

If it's locked in the trunk and no in plain sight, then don't get stopped and get the hell out of Jersey as fast as you can.

If you are going to be driving your car around for the weekend, take the stuff out and put it somewhere in the house. When going back home, lock it back up and refuse any searches if you get stopped.

I really don't know if the above is a valid answer as I am not familiar with PRNJ laws. But it's my understanding that you could get in trouble, but I am really not sure.

If you are spending the weekend there and need to use your car, get the stuff out for now. That should be 1st priority.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post

(3) rounds- .38 special target, .223 fmj, and a .22 caliber hollow point (cop killer)

120 rounds of .223 brass

3 inch folding knife

I'll preface this by saying IANAL.

I agree with the above advice that you shouldn't being any of this stuff into NJ. But, if you're already there...

I think you're within the law. It's legal to purchase and own hollow points in NJ, you just can't carry them in a firearm, and there's no way anyone could claim you're carrying or attempting to carry them in a firearm assuming you don't have a firearm in your possession. Furthermore, targets, manuals, and a folding knife of that size should be OK.

With all that said, if you were to get stopped you would almost definitely be given a hard time if these items are in plain sight. Make sure to keep said items stowed away out of sight, and don't consent to any kind of searches; if they were to find any of that stuff, they'll almost assuredly engage in a fishing expedition for a firearm, and attempt to coerce you into consenting to a more detailed search.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

If you are planning to go, my advice is DON'T!

If you are already there, my advice is to GET OUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post

120 rounds of .223 brass

3 inch folding knife

Before entering PRNJ, you should pinch your nose and plug your butt and dont bring those items.

If you are already there though, bury the 3 rounds, put the rest in a box in the back with the luggage and obey local traffic laws. As you leave NJ, pull over after crossing the border, give NJ a Brooklyn salute (it's become my personal tradition despite my wife's protestation) and have your mother come out to visit next time....
    Hold the Line...

I'm not a lawyer, and I wouldn't instruct anyone to knowingly break the law.

I think that technically the hollow-point in your car could be a problem. I remember a while back a guy was arrested and charged (successfully, I think) in NJ for having a pistol magazine loaded with hollow points inside his vehicle. He did not have any firearm with him.

Regardless of the actual laws in NJ, the NJ police tend to think that only they should be allowed to own/carry anything firearm or knife related, and they arrest accordingly, and let the courts sort things out.

If all that stuff is already with you, I'd make sure it's in the trunk. Drive safe and intelligently, abide the laws, and don't draw attention to yourself.

Thanks guys. I threw the live ammo in the woods at a rest stop...I think you need a permit for that. Any signs that I may be a gun owner (NRA pamplet, pa LTCF, instruction manuals, etc.) are securely out of site.

(Northampton County)

You could have dropped it at my house if you pass through Easton and pick it up on the way home.

(Bucks County)

Gotta love Jersey.

I made a mistake during a delivery to our communist neighbors recently (not gonna say exactly what) but nothing looked so beautiful as that "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign on my way back......
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast