Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 21

(Dauphin County)

Default Glock 21

Can any of you other Glock 21 owners give me a heads up on the the gun, just basic range stuff, accuracy, ammo types ect.. I've only had the chance to shoot 100rnds so far and I must say the gun feels nice, but the accuracy @ 25yrds has alot to be desired, my upclose stuff is good 5 and 15 yrds. I'm thinking it may be the ammo I got, CCI Blazers 230 fmj w/ alumn. cases. I know it's cheap ammo, but I had to buy bulk for the 235 classs I'm taking next month and now I think I may regret my choise in ammo. any thoughts?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Glock 21

The Glock 21 like most Glocks will shoot very well once you master the trigger pull. How many rounds total do you have through all Glocks combined? If the answer is less than 1000, then range time will help you out a great deal.

Winchester White Box and CCI Blazer Brass are both decent practice rounds, and should shoot rather well @ 25 yards.

One thing to think about is the sight width. Glock factory sights are on the thick side for me. At 25 yards the front sight is wider than the X ring on most targets. It's hard to shoot at a target that is covered by the front sight. I like to use a thinner front sight blade with a wider U notch rear....just something to think about.

Range time will cure most of your worries.

(Dauphin County)

I have a total of 100 rounds though it so far, one thing I did notice this evening is that the rear sight is not centered it's off to the left, and I know what your saying about the front sight covering the the target @ 25yrds. I working on the trigger pull,I ordered the 3.5lb connector as well as the slide realease extender this week. I was told the lighter trigger pull will help out alot and I know shoot, shoot, shoot. as far as the sight situation goes I dont even know where to start,I know I need after market sights, but I'm also going to carry it for protection aswell as for work and plinking, but for now I hope that the trigger upgrade and time at the range closes the groups up to something a little more acceptable. Time will tell, and thanks for the input

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lump88 View Post
    Can any of you other Glock 21 owners give me a heads up on the the gun, just basic range stuff, accuracy, ammo types ect.. I've only had the chance to shoot 100rnds so far and I must say the gun feels nice, but the accuracy @ 25yrds has alot to be desired, my upclose stuff is good 5 and 15 yrds. I'm thinking it may be the ammo I got, CCI Blazers 230 fmj w/ alumn. cases. I know it's cheap ammo, but I had to buy bulk for the 235 classs I'm taking next month and now I think I may regret my choise in ammo. any thoughts?
    If you have only fired 100 rounds, I would stick with closer range shooting till you consistantly group well and gradually increase your distance.

Not knowing what your firearms background is makes it difficult to advise you on what you want and need to know.

As far as the 3.5 connector, I personally think that is too light for a defensive pistol. If you combine that disconnector with a NY1 trigger spring, it will give you a slightly heavier pull than a stock Glock trigger but you will notice a more distinct trigger reset. If you had to shoot it defensively, you wouldn't notice the difference if it was an 8lb or even heavier trigger.

I have seen problems when shooters use the extended controls and many trainers advise against these after market add ons. I witnessed one shooter losing his mag due to inadvertently hitting the extended control. We were doing one handed manipulations so perhaps that was the issue. He did however say he was removing that item and putting the stock part back on.

I doubt any ammo is the cause of problems and I use Blazer aluminum cased ammo extensively for range and practice ammo.

Lose the stock plastic sights. Get a good set of steel fixed sights. I prefer night sights and also prefer a two dot system but that's just what i have become accustomed to shooting with.

If you have no formal firearms training, I would advise to get some. Not from a friend or buddy, but from a professional instructor. From my understanding, the ACT 235 classes do very little in firearms handling aside from the qual testing.

I love a G21. It fits my hand nicely but is too big to carry (at least for me).
    I use a G23 and a G32 both of which are fitted with a .40 bbl.

Good luck with the ACT235. I hope to get this cert before I retire.

If you have any questions, post them up. You'll get a boatload of differing opinions on what to do,buy,how to train,what ammo is best, etc,etc,etc.

27hand
    Last edited by 27hand; August 1st, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

I've had mine only a few weeks, but find it a great tool. Fits my hand perfectly. I bought a Lone Wolf barrel for it so I could shoot lead through it w/o issue. I reload, and use 200gr SWC's.

(Butler County)

I've shot a 23 for years and I realize it's different but I definitely would NOT go with a 3.5 trigger on a Glock. Especially if you are planning on carrying it as a duty weapon after you receive your Act 235 certification.

You're on the right track, shoot, shoot, shoot and you'll get used to it but IMHO I would put at least 1k rounds through it before starting any mods on the trigger. I'm still using stock sights but that's more cause I keep buying other stuff, they are on my to do list, I'll get to them.

The qual for the Act 235 wasn't very difficult, if you a decent shooter you should be fine. Dry firing has helped me reduce my low left hits as of late. Juts focus on your front sight while dry firing and you'll see a significant improvement.

(Westmoreland County)

I know some say Glocks don't need a break-in period, but I am one who feels any machine has some sort of break-in.

Shoot more for break-in, and dry-fire with snap caps will help you become more familar with your Glock's trigger. Don't be afraid to try other ammo choices too.

(Delaware County)

I'd suggest skipping the 3.5 connector, and just polish up the trigger bar and maybe the firing pin and firing pin safety plunger. Just don't round off the bottom of the firing pin tang or the tip of the "cruciform sear."

My Glock triggers are a little under 5 pounds and crisp, with no gritty feeling. The 3.5 connectors add some creep.

ETA: G21 isn't that hard to carry. I carried one IWB all through the cold months one year.
    Last edited by Suburban; August 2nd, 2008 at 12:39 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Berks County)

I have a G23 and I wasn't very accurate down-range with the stock trigger. I installed a Ghost Rocket 3.5 (not a commercial plug) and fell in love with the trigger pull. At the range, I went back and forth between the stock connector and the after market one. My accuracy was good with the stock trigger, but outstanding with the Ghost.

However, a big however here, I started suffering light primer strikes. About 2 rounds in 50 wouldn't go boom. To fix that, I installed a Wolff extra power spring kit. Trigger spring and firing pin spring. I haven't had a light strike since then. But the point of my post is, as you start messing around with the guts of the gun, you run the risk of effecting its reliability somewhere else. I'm not a gunsmith, and am not trying to sound like one, but I can say that I have witnessed that first hand with my weapons.

For a carry weapon, stock is probably the wisest way to go. Unless you fire alot of rounds at the range and have a very high level of confidence in any changes you've made. I've made a bunch of changes to my G23, but it's my fun range gun. And I don't leave anything installed that can't reliably fire at least 200 rounds in a session.

I use Blazer Brass at the range. Clean and accurate. ...and cheap.
    I also use Speer Gold Dots.
    I haven't used any ammo bad enough to effect my accuracy. When I miss, it's because I flinched or my wrist is getting tired. The more I fire my Glock, the better it (and the guy pulling the trigger) gets.

If you want to see pics or details of what I've done, PM me. I'm off to the range...it's like my second home.

-Giovanni

(Luzerne County)

Master the trigger pull, stay away from reloads, use good factory ammo and the G21 will serve you just fine.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast