Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best way to get firearms across the country?

Im planning a few trips to the west coast and alaska and want to take some of my guns to shoot. I'm not comfortable with putting them in my carry on luggage so i'm wondering

(1) what is the process involved in mailing firearms through an FFL? How much does it cost? Has anyone done it and think it a worthwhile method of transfer?

(2) I know UPS and Fed Ex allow you to mail firearms but their policies are a bit confusing to me. Has anyone mailed this way? What was it like? The way the policy reads, my interpretation is that you cannot mail to yourself, it must be through approved entities.

thanks in advance for clarification. I searched on this topic but didn't find what I was hoping for.

Firearms

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
    Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: best way to get firearms across the country?

I've never had a problem checking firearms as part of my luggage. Assuming you have quality hard case and follow the airline regulations, it's not that bad and they arrive when you do. They get special treatment by the airlines so you don't pick them up with the rest of the luggage. They have generally been with the over sized stuff, in my experience.

Just make sure you double check the rules.

Im worried about the firearms getting stolen in transit if I pack them into checked luggage. Do different airlines offer different options in regards to how the baggage is handled? I wouldn't want to put all my arms in a box according to regulation, only to arrive at my destination with "lost luggage."
    Last edited by original gunner; September 10th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

(Allegheny County)

(Centre County)

I've had lost luggage before (a lot, I travel almost every other week) BUT, I have never had lost luggage when sending a gun in my luggage. Nothing is marked on the outside of the luggage, but in my case every airline put a PRIORITY baggage tag on all of the luggage I checked (so as not ot call attention to one particular bag. And my bags were not the only ones with that particular tag on it as First Class and the frequent fliers get them too. I would check it rather than go through the hassle of shipping to a FFL. Especially to CA, there are all kinds of new CA regs that have to be followed now.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

I worked in Detroit for 2 months and flew my CCW twice weekly (leaving Monday and returning Friday each week). For the total of 16 trips, my luggage arrived promptly and did not have any issue with checking in the gun. Northwest is the easiest to deal with, while Southwest did give me a hard time for not having my ammo in their original container. It's silly because I had my ammo in a small hard-case box, but loose. NW didn't have problem, TSA didn't care, but the SW rep took the luggage in himself and pointed it out to the TSA so TSA didn't take it. I ended up loading the ammo into the mags....and it was OK.

In any case, I am planning on going to the south west (AZ, NV, etc) with my wife next month and we are planning to bring a couple of rifles and a few pistols out there to shoot. I bought an "airline-approved" Remington case which should fit 2 rifles. I'll probably buy another one for the other guns and accessories (rifle bench, mags, some ammo, etc.). Since I've not lost my bags, I am not worried too much about lost bags, even though it IS a possibility.

Al

hmm sounds like putting the firearms in checked luggage may be OK. I wonder what professional shooters/hunters/IDPA types do? Maybe if I lock the guns into cases, then lock the cases into the frame of the luggage, it will help deter theft. Im going to a local gun shop this weekend and will ask the owner what the FFL process is and post it up for others who search on this topic.

(Allegheny County)

After researching the laws at your departure and destination points it may be an option for you to ship your items FROM yourself TO yourself via UPS or FedEx; you do not necessarily need an FFL involved.

I have shipped to myself care of my hotel / motel.
    You can contact them in advance and simply state you have a package of value that is to be secured in their safe or similar until your arrival.

Some folks may ship to a relative's residence if that is your destination.
    You must be certain to request an adult signature upon delivery and to be certain no resident of the house is a prohibited person.

Best of all, in my book, when shipping to yourself:
    use the UPS / FedEx depot as your destination address.
    In this way your package never leaves the terminal and is held for your pickup. This can be their depot at the airport (think about it, you're there already anyway) or to a sub-station near your intended lodging location.

I use the "depot to depot" method for any trips longer than a few days as once I hand my sealed package over the counter to be shipped it never leaves their possession until I enter the depot and pick it up. Less handling = less risk, and you dont have to deal with differing policies if your travel plans change or if you have a flight cancelled and the only option is a "firearm unfriendly" carrier.

In light of increased baggage fees, etc ... the "depot to depot" method is often cheaper as well.
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; September 11th, 2008 at 05:56 PM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    After researching the laws at your departure and destination points it may be an option for you to ship your items FROM yourself TO yourself via UPS or FedEx; you do not necessarily need an FFL involved.

I have shipped to myself care of my hotel / motel.
    You can contact them in advance and simply state you have a package of value that is to be secured in their safe or similar until your arrival.

Some folks may ship to a relative's residence if that is your destination.
    You must be certain to request an adult signature upon delivery and to be certain no resident of the house is a prohibited person.

Best of all, in my book, when shipping to yourself:
    use the UPS / FedEx depot as your destination address.
    In this way your package never leaves the terminal and is held for your pickup. This can be their depot at the airport (think about it, you're there already anyway) or to a sub-station near your intended lodging location.

I use the "depot to depot" method for any trips longer than a few days as once I hand my sealed package over the counter to be shipped it never leaves their possession until I enter the depot and pick it up. Less handling = less risk, and you dont have to deal with differing policies if your travel plans change or if you have a flight cancelled and the only option is a "firearm unfriendly" carrier.

In light of increased baggage fees, etc ... the "depot to depot" method is often cheaper as well.
    Thanks for this. I am also planning a move, although permanent. I have more than 20 guns that I eventually need to get to my new residence. That's right, PA will no longer be my beloved home.

It's good to know that you can tell them to hold your stuff at the depot until you personally pick them up. I was apprehensive about the idea of flying with them and ScaredOnce's Google search confirmed my paranoia, especially since my situation is not temporary and with just several guns like the OP's case.

I was at the airport not too long ago, and I couldn't help but think to myself "what a bunch of mouth breathers" when I laid eyes upon the employees there (they were mainly TSA).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Garpman View Post
    I the airport not too long ago, and I couldn't help but think to myself "what a bunch of mouth breathers" when I laid eyes upon the employees there (they were mainly TSA).
    I am not sure what makes you make this comment or how it is relevant, but every TSA employee I've encountered was courteous and professional. They are especially MORE respectful when you tell them you have a gun. I have traveled to 33 countries and 100's of cities, including 16 times flying with guns and my encounters and observations have been consistent with very few exceptions. TSA has NOTHING to do with your checked baggage other than clearing them for take off. It's the baggage handlers that lose your bags. With all due respect, your opinion from afar of TSA employees is unwarranted.

Regards,
    Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast