Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default My response to the new proposed gun bans

I bought it today. I couldnt afford it, but I traded a few guns that I can replace down the road. I planned on getting one when I graduate, but I dont want to be in a spot where I can afford it, but Johnny Law wont let me buy it. Now I got it, and I'll be damned if I let go of it!

(plus its a colt )

Attached Images Attached Images

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: My response to the new proposed gun bans

Congratulations.

(Westmoreland County)

Congrats! Is it a ban-era rifle? I can't see a bayonet lug.
    I own guns!

(Beaver County)

There is no bayonet lug. Would that make it a pre-ban? I thought that in this configuration, there is no use for a lug, sicne there is no flash suppressor to moint it to.

The SN is CJC003XXX. Maybe you can tell me more about it?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    There is no bayonet lug. Would that make it a pre-ban? I thought that in this configuration, there is no use for a lug, sicne there is no flash suppressor to moint it to.

The SN is CJC003XXX. Maybe you can tell me more about it?
    No, it's not pre-ban. Pre-ban means it was made before the '94 assault weapons ban. In between '94 and the AWB sunset they didn't have the flash hider/suppressor or the bayo lug. They've now returned again since they're legal once more.
    I don't know much about Colts but that low serial number is cool. Hopefully somebody who is knowledgable can give you some info. Have fun shooting!
    I own guns!

(Montgomery County)

its a 'ban model" , not meaning it was made during the ban necessarily, but Colt has an agreement with the State of CT since the 1992 Colt "bankruptcy" bailout, that they dont sell 'Assault weapons" to the public.

the current made Colt 'assault weapons' still have the LEO or Mil Use only markings on them, and are the only models in the line that actually have the "AR-15" still on them.

Colt dells them to thier LE dealers, who aren't supposed to sell them to peons, but sometimes they get out there, i have a Colt 6520 thats got all LE marks and AR-15 model marks, has the FH, bayolug, and collapsing stock.

thier "ok to public" guns have no FH, no bayo lug, and no collapsing stocks.

Yours is one of these it appears.

its still a quality weapon for sure.

I'm willing to bet it has "Match target" of some kind on the model, and does not say "AR-15' on it at all.
    if it has pushpin front and rear takedown pins, you can swap a different upper on easily if you want.
    if it has a 2 piece front screw tpe pin, its a little more difficult.

the 16" barrel with no flashhider will result in a significant flash signature in even normal daylight conditions, especially with commercial ammo, you might think about having the barrel threaded and putting a FH on.

bayolug is pretty useless, but neat in a "features" kind of way.

collapsing stock is pretty much a bolt on if you want to get one.

also, Colt uses different pin sizes for their fire control components, so if you break a hammer/trigger/disconnector or one of the pins, you'll need to get the parts from Colt, i'm not sure anybody else sells them.

plus, under standard AW legislation like what expired in 2004, that gun, as it sits, would not be considered a AW for "grandfathering" purposes, as it has only the one "bad' feature...the pistolgrip....the previous ban needed at least 2 of the following on a detachable magazine rifle to qualify as an AW:
    flashhider or threaded muzzle
    folding collapsing stock
    pistolgrip
    bayonet lug
    grenade launcher

AW ban was pretty much cosmetic y'know.

also, Colts have a great many serial number ranges and prefixes, like MT, CJ, etc etc..so a low swrial number doesn't mean anything.

either way congrats!
    Last edited by JayBell; February 6th, 2007 at 02:55 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Beaver County)

if it has a 2 piece front screw tpe pin, its a little more difficult.
    Hmm...how much more difficlut? I thought it would be the same but instead of being a push-pin, I need a regular screw driver. Not that easy?

Also, are you saying I need to add a collapseable stock to make it gand-fatherable?

Who can thread this barrel (its a bit thick I think) and how much would it be?

Thanks for the info.

(Berks County)

Nice work avis. I've been looking at picking up a BUG, but with all the proposed legislation I'm thinking about saying "screw it" and go for the AR now before it becomes too difficult or too expensive to get one.

Decisions, decisions...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

GOOD WORK, PATRIOT!!!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: My response to the new proposed gun bans

Well done Aviz! That is the type of response that we need to send to these folks to wake them up!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast