Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Philly Police Department

I'm watching PCN, and it's showing the PA Senate Judiciary Committee. They had 2 police officers from the Philly Police Dept. One was a Sgt, and the other looked like a higher up so I'll guess he was an Lt.

Well, the Lt. was telling the committee that they have encountered quite a few BG's that have a PA LTCF's and that even though they don't have criminal records, they are associates of those in the gun and/or drug trade... He also made a comment about how easy the LTCF's are to get.

Is it just me, or does it sound like Philly PD is trying to either make LTCF's harder to get, more expensive, or just plain done away with?

When asked about assault weapons the officers told them that they get BG's with AK-47s and also respond to shots fired calls and find "shell casings similar to those that could be used in an AK-47 assault rifle". When asked if they have weapons to respond to the assault weapons, the Lt said that some officers, like SWAT, have access to assault weapons at all times, and are trained to use them... And then something was mentioned about legislation, but I wasn't watching the program at that time so maybe someone can fill me in on that part.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Philly Police Department

As soon as democrats get in this crap starts. If they would just put the BG in jail and keep them there we wouldnt have these problems. With all the gun laws on the books it is a wonder why we have crime. They want to pass more laws. Guess what the ones you passed dont work why pass more?

(Delaware County)

I'm lost. The statement that "quite a few BG's that have a PA LTCF's and that even though they don't have criminal records" is crazy. If they are certified BG's then they have a criminal record / rap sheet and they can not get a LTCF. If they are felons, they can not posses, carry, own or shoot a firearm. Someone is "pontificating" without facts.

Small wonder that the crime scene is going nuts. Too much time wasted on PowerPoint presentations, not enough crime fighting as it gets in the way of promotions and desk jobs.

Best regards,
    chalmitch

(Chester County)

Almost makes me wonder if they aren't counterfit LTCF's? Really wouldn't be that hard to duplicate

(Perry County)

I guess one (even the laminated kind like I have) could be duplicated, but that still doesn't put it on file with the issuing Sheriff's office. A quick records check would indicate that it is fraudulent.

Dave G.

(Berks County)

When someone gets a license to carry firearms the Sheriff's office sends a copy to PSP in Harrisburg. Even after that happens it can take up to 6-8 weeks before it will come up in the system.

(Northumberland County)

The point is that unless someone HAS A RECORD, they cannot deny a LTCF. And really if they aren't breaking any laws when pulled over. They're still not a BG....

Innocent until PROVEN guilty..... Police officers too often throw this out the window and assume everyone is a criminal...

(Erie County)

http://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/ba...paper_2006.pdf

I posted this on the "botched raids" thread. It's the first story in the paper.

For example, police say that Diotaiuto's concealed carry permit indicated he was potentially dangerous, which necessitated the involvement of the SWAT team and the early-morning raid.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post
    I'm lost. The statement that "quite a few BG's that have a PA LTCF's and that even though they don't have criminal records" is crazy. If they are certified BG's then they have a criminal record / rap sheet and they can not get a LTCF. If they are felons, they can not posses, carry, own or shoot a firearm. Someone is "pontificating" without facts.

Small wonder that the crime scene is going nuts. Too much time wasted on PowerPoint presentations, not enough crime fighting as it gets in the way of promotions and desk jobs.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    I understand where your coming from and how it looks as typed. But sometimes people can commit crimes and just not have gotten caught yet... Never got caught, never had a criminal record...

(Berks County)

In general, this is just an attempt by the Philadelphia local govt. to put all LTC holders in a bad light. Making us look like criminals gives them justification for an argument to revoke LTC permits in Philadelphia, or even statewide.

Funny thing about their tactic is that they're using a few "bad apples" to generalize the group as a whole. The same people who complain about this tactic when it comes to racial profiling as it pertains to crime are now using it against us to take away our rights.

Hypocrites.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast