Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default NRA - Urgent: Pigeon Shooting Ban Up for Possible Vote Today!

Got this NRA alert for PA

Urgent: Pigeon Shooting Ban Up for Possible Vote Today!

Please Contact Your State Representative Today!

State Representative Daylin Leach (D-149) has filed amendments to Senate Bill 151 and House Bill 1543. These amendments could be voted on by the House as early as today. This legislation would criminalize and ban organized pigeon shoots in Pennsylvania by amending Title 18 ("Crimes and Offenses") of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes.

Pigeon shooting is an historic and legitimate activity steeped in tradition with many participants throughout the Commonwealth and around the world. Shoots have been held in Pennsylvania for more than one hundred years and participants are law-abiding, ethical shooting enthusiasts, hunters, and sportsmen who would not tolerate an activity that would constitute cruelty to animals.

Of course, opposition to pigeon shooting does not come from within the Commonwealth but from the outside. National “animal rights” extremist groups, led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), have organized and funded efforts in Pennsylvania and around the country to ban this longstanding traditional shooting sport.

Make no mistake, this isn’t just about banning pigeon shooting, but banning all hunting species by species. Today, its pigeon shooting, tomorrow it could be deer hunting. Remember, Wayne Pacelle, the CEO of HSUS has said, “If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would.” He has even admitted, "We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped..."

Please contact your State Representative TODAY and respectfully ask them to protect Pennsylvania’s rich hunting tradition by opposing Representative Leach’s amendments. Contact information for your State Representative can be found here.

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main...ew=myofficials

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: NRA - Urgent: Pigeon Shooting Ban Up for Possible Vote Today!

hmm.. thats a tricky one..

while I most certainly do NOT support pidgeon shooting, I can't say I'd support a ban on it.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Of all the important threats to gun rights in PA this is what the NRA steps in to fight?

Not that I want it to go through... But come on NRA. Get out of the pocket of hunters and step up to bat for everyone else once in a while.

Worthless.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Blair County)

two old drunk guys down the street from me would be screwed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Of all the important threats to gun rights in PA this is what the NRA steps in to fight?

Not that I want it to go through... But come on NRA. Get out of the pocket of hunters and step up to bat for everyone else once in a while.

Worthless.
    Sad fact is. Its REALLY RARE to get an special alert from the NRA ILA about anything happening in PA, So I thought it was really newsworthy.

I had a talk in Rep Daylin Leach office staff in Harrisburg back in April of 2007 about HB 73 Cruelty to animals, live pigeon shoots prohibited which is a similar bill to this amendment.

Anyone want to test the NRA-ILA commitment to defending firearm rights in PA with 1/16 of all NRA members in PA the largest single state of memberships.

PLEASE call up the NRA-ILA ask them for a list of ALL the PA pending Pro-gun and ANTI-gun proposed bill numbers and the NRA- ILA positions on them.... LOL......

Compare them to the list and position done by Volunteers that actual fight for your firearm rights in PA on this web site.

http://acslpa.org/n-legislative/pa_p...egislation.htm

There are a couple on new ones missing but it still much better than the one the NRA-ILA won't give you.
    Last edited by WhiteFeather; July 2nd, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

(Chester County)

From the nra...
    Make no mistake, this isn’t just about banning pigeon shooting, but banning all hunting species by species. Today, its pigeon shooting, tomorrow it could be deer hunting.
    I am probably opening up a can of worms here and I admit I don't know much about this but if deer were released from cages and shot I suspect deer hunters might have a problem with that ethically. Am I wrong? I know there is a tradition but I am not a fan of the dog fighting tradition either.

I am open to comments, please don't flame, just inform if you think I am out of line here.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    From the nra...

I am probably opening up a can of worms here and I admit I don't know much about this but if deer were released from cages and shot I suspect deer hunters might have a problem with that ethically. Am I wrong? I know there is a tradition but I am not a fan of the dog fighting tradition either.

I am open to comments, please don't flame, just inform if you think I am out of line here.

You ask a fair question, Trouble is its going to take some time to explain or give you an education as there are many political forces at work on this one.

For the record I don’t like the whole concept of pigeon shoots either, but the all clay targets shooting sports have their roots coming from it. I also am not for animal abuse in any forms, and lots of things done to animals by people I do not approve of either.

There is a faction of the wacko animal rights movement that want to do away with hunting, all animal so called abuse and politicize this issues, they are the ones pushing the hardest for this legislation. . The animal rights zealots have huge budgets and wage all out war to liberate the oppressed animals of the worlds as they see it. They operate on the single battle fronts, take out one issues at a time to they achieve their goals. The other front they are actively waging war in PA right now is the dog laws I have several post about that.

Make no mistake about it when they get this passed into law it will ONLY embolden them to go after the next target on their list. I find it cheaper to fight them of this issues like this and have them tilt at windmills than let them move on to their next victims maybe its trapping, or game farms, or deer hunting sooner or later it will be. it’s not that far of a leap in their logic of animals have RIGHTS too, equal to or even greater than human rights. Some of them will even publicly admit it, others will camouflage themselves to do more damage from inside the system. A thousand years ago these wacko animal rights extremists would have starved to death but today they are a major pain to many people. Some animal right nut jobs, go way over the line by breaking and entering releasing animal held against their will be the evil farmers, other burn down building or other commit real domestic terrorist acts in the name of the noble animal liberation front. Other are like PETA that take in million of dollars in the name of animal protectors yet kill them in their shelters when they can get away with it.

here is several links for you to read about this issuse from both sides when I was working on research for this project for a position paper. There are many more just grabbed a couple in internet favorite file for you to review. I got more plus you can yahoo for more if you feel the need for fair and balanced.

Sport pigeon shooting challenging, enjoyable
    http://deltafarmpress.com/mag/farmin...geon_shooting/

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/12080

Pigeons in general history problem etc.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW117

City To Bengals: Exhaust Options Before Shooting Pigeons
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/14225396/detail.html

PIGEONS problems and how to deal with them
    http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...fe/pigeons.htm
    This one has lots of info about the pain they can be to human

'Vigil for Pigeons' Being Organized
    http://curbed.com/archives/2007/11/1..._organized.php

Man Shooting Pigeons Mistaken For Downtown Sniper
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/8188236/detail.html

N.R.A. Lobbied Hard To Keep Pigeon Shoot
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A962958260

At the same time pigeons the ones in these shoots if I am not mistaken were brought to this country by the evil white Europeans back in the day. Since that time the pigeons have multiplied at the expense of indigenous wild birds, their dropping cost billions of dollars in damage to public and private property. If you go to a city and see all those spikes all over a building on all the ledges it because of anti-pigeon. I would be surprised if someday a court would rule that is cruelty to not provide resting place for them to rest or raise their little families. After all a boy, a rat they are all the same before the law.

In my opinion, all sly remarks aside.

IF rich people want to shoot these winged rats at no cost to the taxpayers, without poisoning or gassing them by professional trying to eradicate them when they cause to much damage to buildings, harm to people in general cost billion in damage. I say let them shoot all they want, IF the town where these shoots don’t care and want all the money it brings into the local community let them shoot all the pigeons they want to.

IF you need more info give me sometime and I post a real response, better yet do you our research.

(Chester County)

Thanks WhiteFeather. This one has a lot of politics like you said which makes it tough to get an unbiased perspective. Of course, I am apt to side with the NRA over PETA. I agree in the notion of fighting them on this so it doesn't further their agenda to the next step. We know this is the case with the RKBA. No amount of regulation will ever be enough for the anti's, Rendell/Nutter say they would be happy with laws like NY has, but NY is not happy with what they have, they are only emboldened by their success to go further.

I have no problem with hunting or removing/eliminating nuisance critters. I would be interesting in knowing what percentage of sportsmen would say these shoots are ethical and sporting.

(Lehigh County)

I am not a pigeon shooter but I sent emails to my Senator and Representative voicing my opposition to a ban, because it's not that different from pheasant tower shoots, shooting live birds for the purpose of training hunting dogs and preserve hunting. These are all activities that I engage in. The antis are just using this as step in banning the killing of all animals just like the anti gunners want to use banning hand guns as a step to banning all guns.

See the similarities.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Lebanon County)

Problem I have is "Pigeon Shoot and "Hunting" being used in the same sentence.
    Shooting a bird out of a box is not hunting in any way, shape or form. With Nutter and Gov Rendell trampling on gun owners rights constantly, the NRA has bigger fish to fry here.
    They compromise on real 2nd amendment issues, and choose this as their fight. They'll get no more money from me, GOA it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast