Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clarion man sentenced in weapons case

Clarion man sentenced in weapons case
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009
    By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A man who left threatening phone messages for a Clarion County state trooper will spend more than five years in federal prison on charges that he possessed illegal pipe bombs and other weapons.

Dana Darryl McCall, who was found guilty by a jury of three counts of possessing unregistered firearms in January, told Chief U.S. District Judge Donetta W. Ambrose that there were no pipe bombs.

The U.S. attorney's office presented evidence during the trial that Mr. McCall had all the necessary parts to make such weapons.

"I've been convicted of something that didn't exist," he said. "I'm an old man. I don't bother anybody."

According to the prosecution, Mr. McCall, 59, called the home of Pennsylvania State Trooper James Weaver and left messages that included recorded threats from movies and a television show. Assistant U.S. Attorney Ross Lenhardt said that the threats stemmed from a summary violation by the trooper for which Mr. McCall had to pay a $100 fine.

The weapons, including a machine gun with a heat-sensing device on it, were seized from Mr. McCall during a raid on his home in February 2008.

At this morning's sentencing hearing, the government argued for a number of enhancements to Mr. McCall's sentence -- including that the weapons charges should be tied to attempted murder on the trooper -- but the judge rejected those.

"I have a problem with your argument," she told Mr. Lenhardt. "You chose to charge this defendant with possessory gun charges."

Judge Ambrose went on to say that she believed that the case involving potential threats to Trooper Weaver belonged in state court.

"I cannot sit here and not be concerned about Mr. McCall," she said. "But I have to do the right thing. You don't think you've reached pretty far?"

"My job is to see if I can follow the law to the best of my ability, and that's what I did," Mr. Lenhardt responded.

Mr. McCall has a handful of misdemeanor convictions in his past, including for shooting an 8-year-old girl with a pellet gun and for impersonating a public official.

"There are disturbing things in your past," Judge Ambrose told the defendant as she sentenced him to 63 months in prison. "I am concerned about the escalation of your behavior."

Additional charges against the defendant are still pending in Clarion County, including for risking a catastrophe

Default Re: Clarion man sentenced in weapons case

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    The weapons, including a machine gun with a heat-sensing device on it, were seized from Mr. McCall during a raid on his home in February 2008.

Boy something smells awfully bad here!

(Cumberland County)

What exactly is a heat sensing device for a machine gun?
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    What exactly is a heat sensing device for a machine gun?
    I was wondering the same thing.

But from the judge is correct that his behavior does seem fishy. Shooting an 8 yr old with a pellet gun? Impersonating a police offer? Sounds like he is getting what he deserves.

But on the machine gun thing....really makes me wonder if it isn't an air soft machine gun or something like that.

(Monroe County)

This doesn't worry any of you?

Dana Darryl McCall, who was found guilty by a jury of three counts of possessing unregistered firearms in January, told Chief U.S. District Judge Donetta W. Ambrose that there were no pipe bombs.

The U.S. attorney's office presented evidence during the trial that Mr. McCall had all the necessary parts to make such weapons.

"I've been convicted of something that didn't exist," he said. "I'm an old man. I don't bother anybody."
    Unregistered weapons?

All the parts to make a pipe bomb?

Anyone that reloads has all the parts to make a pipe bomb.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Mercer County)

He should have retained the same lawyer as the guy who got two months for having an illegal weapons cache.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    This doesn't worry any of you?

Unregistered weapons?
    That would be the machine gun.

I agree though, most people probably have "all the parts to make" a pipe bomb at the house. Not just reloaders/gun owners.

If that man DID shoot an 8 year old child with a pellet gun, he deserves to be ass raped with it!!!!!!

(Chester County)

You would be surprised at what can be made out of everyday things in the home.
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Centre County)

Some people SHOULD live as hermits....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast