Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default 45-70, All Around big game gun?

I've been searching for a good big game gun for basically anything in North America and I was wondering if the 45-70 would be good.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 45-70, All Around big game gun?

The 45-70 has taken just about everything that presently walks on earth.

If loaded properly you can use it on chipmunks to elephants. On North America, any of the critters are fair game for the 45-70. ...just mind your loads and prepare for rainbow arcs. Beyond some folks opinions, a rainbow arc doesn't mean inaccuracy, it just means you have to aim higher by means of scope/sights adjustment or holdover. Something modern cartridge shooters aren't accustomed to doing.

Even at nearly 2 miles(3200yrds), a 500gr 45cal from a 45-90 using 80grs of blackpowder was able to go through (2) 1in boards at a 30 degree angle(about 2.5in of wood) and then 8-10in into sand. With modern powders and loads, a 45-70 with a 500gr slug can easily surpass the old 45-90BP load at the same range.

So, yeah.. get the 45-70.. A Marlin 1895 is a good and strong platform to shoot level #2(Levergun) loads, which are energy-wise in the 300win mag area.

(Berks County)

I read an article recently that stated the 30.06 was making a come back. Hell, I didn't know that it ever left. Comes in a variety of flavors and a solid all around performer.

I don't know about the two miles....you'd have to aim it like an artillery piece!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by spratman View Post

I don't know about the two miles....you'd have to aim it like an artillery piece!
    it would still be flatter than the 45-70. the 45/70 is in "top attack" mode at 1k yrds. by twice that it's probably get ready to go from "arc" to "circle".

talk about aiming for the moon.....
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

I pefer .338WM, can be loaded down.
    Considered a Medium African rifle at full loads.

Read once "if you want to break an elks shoulder, this is your gun"

ETA: Mine has a Hart break on it, 1/2 the recoil of non breaked guns.

(Allegheny County)

i run an Encore custom Katahdin in .45-70 for deer/bear. haven't had a chance to shoot a bear yet with it, but every deer i've ever hit with one has dropped in sight. longest shot i have taken is 151 yards and that doe dropped in her tracks. leaves a golf ball size entry wound and baseball sized exit wound if it exits.
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; April 7th, 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: i did shoot a bear with my .300 win mag
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Westmoreland County)

I own a marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. I have been fooling around with the new Hornady FTX bullets (handloading) recently and have found them to be exceptionally accurate.

I have a set of Williams target peep sights on my Marlin. This first pic is at 100 yards and I was moving the peep sight to get it centered on the target. then I put 3 shots....well, you can see.

Then I had a target set up at 200 yards. So, I took the first shot and it hit about 20" low (as was expected, that one is just off the bottom of the pic and you cannot see it) so I took the estimated amount of clicks on the Williams peep sight and took a second shot. That is the shot in the upper right. Well, I didn't feel quite settled when I took that second shot, so I took a third and it hit almost on the bull! Then I put three more shots at it and, as you can see, all 4 shots are touching. This is of course, from a bench. But with Williams peep sights. These Marlins are exceptionally accurate rifles.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I own a marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. I have been fooling around with the new Hornady FTX bullets (handloading) recently and have found them to be exceptionally accurate.

I have a set of Williams target peep sights on my Marlin. This first pic is at 100 yards and I was moving the peep sight to get it centered on the target. then I put 3 shots....well, you can see.

Then I had a target set up at 200 yards. So, I took the first shot and it hit about 20" low (as was expected, that one is just off the bottom of the pic and you cannot see it) so I took the estimated amount of clicks on the Williams peep sight and took a second shot. That is the shot in the upper right. Well, I didn't feel quite settled when I took that second shot, so I took a third and it hit almost on the bull! Then I put three more shots at it and, as you can see, all 4 shots are touching. This is of course, from a bench. But with Williams peep sights. These Marlins are exceptionally accurate rifles.

That's amazing at 200yds' besides the fact it's a 20" group!

(Lebanon County)

20 inch group? where you get do that from?
    those targets are only about 6" across.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Just curious, does the 45-70 loosen your fillings when you shoot it and leave your shoulder black and blue? Or is the recoil more like shotgun recoil?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast