Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Looking for Atglen feedback

All,

as indicated in the Subject I'm considering joining the Atglen club. I went there with one of their members last weekend and was impressed with the ranges, and the rules seemed reasonable.

I've done some searching on here and found a couple small tidbits of negative feedback (cost and "old boys club" mentality) on them but am looking for more opinions before I lay down any cash.

The things that are important to me (that I can think of right now, and in rough order of importance) are:

• No limit on # of rounds loaded in the magazine
    • No frowning upon rapid fire (all semi-auto)
    • Drawing from holster and shooting from retention
    • Shooting from ahead of the line (close to the target)
    • Shooting some form of reactive target (steel, pins, water jugs)
    • 100 yd or longer rifle range

As best I can tell from the searching I've done, Atglen is the only one roughly in my area that satisfies all these requirements. So now I'm trying to find out: has anyone been hassled at this club for doing any of the above? Like I said, "on paper" it looks like all of those actions are OK, but I don't want to join under that assumption and then get victimized by some jerk afterwards.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gunmetal; August 24th, 2007 at 10:23 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for Atglen feedback

I belong to atglen sportsmens club. I think it is one of the best ranges I have been to. The only thing I see you have an issue with is the water jugs. I think that is a no no.

I have shot rapid fire and no one hasseled me.

One thing you have to understand with atglen is that many times you have the range to yourself so noone will say hey no rapid fire. If you go nuts and are unsafe then you will be asked to stop. All in all you will be satisfied.

I like to go sat or sun in late afternoon. it starts to empty out. many times I have the pistol range to myself and I shoot short and draw from a holster. Noone was there to tell me otherwise.

You will find a fud there but I have seen many AR's Garands, AK's, SKS's so you will not be alone.

It is also a CMP club so you can get a garand if you want with all the CMP stuff out now.

If you have anyother questions let me know.

500 meter with steel silhouett targets. I have hit the ram many times with my garand and the greek ammo. Everytime I do it I am amazed that I can. That is 5.5 football fields with iron sights.

(Chester County)

Lou,

thanks a lot for the notes.

I could live without the water jugs, but can you shoot steel/pins on the pistol ranges?

Also, what is a fud?

Good to hear that it is a CMP club, I did 1 or 2 of these matches long ago (in order to get my Garand from the then-DCM) and would enjoy doing so again.

(Chester County)

A fud is a guy who only likes bolt guns. He doesnt like AR's M1A's ect. he thinks they are assault weapons. LOL

http://www.alexross.com/CJ018.jpg

I dont know about steel pins. I know they have steel hanging targets and regular bowling pins.

I come from NY and I had a range there that had plenty of range nazi's. I hate that and I dont have any problems with this range. I am the type of guy to respect range rules and not cause trouble.

In NY I had my garand out. I was shooting surplus ammo so I ran a bore snake through it. I did it a few times and my action was open and I had the rifle standing upward. The but was on my sneaker(toe area) I didnt want to scratch it on the cement. I already checked to see if the chamber was clear cause I sent a bore snake through it a few times and I looked down my BBL to make sure it was clear ( no obstructions)cause I wanted to shoot more rounds.

You would think I went off on a shooting rampage the way this range nazi came down on me. I had to convince him that car mechanics work on engines and if you carefuly and safely work on your firearm it can be done safely. So I know what you are afraid of and I havent seen this nonsense at atglen.

I wanted to flip the bastard the bird but ranges were and are in short supply there. That one in now closed.

(Chester County)

Thanks. For sure, I expect to follow all the rules of whichever club I join, so I want to make sure the rules are flexible enough for me to get something useful out of the membership. Something beyond what can be done at a typical, generic square range.

When I was there last weekend we were shooting ARs and a guy came around who I suspect may have been the owner. (He was walking a dog around the property, and the short conversation we had sounded like he was the owner but he didn't say so explicitly.) He certainly didn't seem to have any problem with what we were shooting or how we were shooting them (occasional rapid fire).

(Regarding "steel/pins" I actually meant that as "steel targets OR bowling pins" so either steel or bowling pins would be fine.)

Talking Re: Looking for Atglen feedback

were is Atglen & what are their dues?
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Chester County)

(Chester County)

Lou,

are you sure Atglen is CMP-affiliated?

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubS...=OPEN&state=PA

I do not see it on that list, nor is it advertised on Atglen's web site.

(Chester County)

It was on the CMP website. I used it for my info to CMP. Must be a mistake.

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Looking for Atglen feedback

I also belong to Atglen. I think Lou stated it pretty well. I like it a lot, it's affordable and worth the cost. I think the rules say no rapid fire, but it's more a matter of, as I think Lou said, if others are there, be considerate.

I guess it's worth noting that some of the rules are apparently enforced vigorously. In the orientation they lay it out (and if it's stuff you can't abide by, there's no obligation to join).

It's a great facility overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast