Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: becoming an FFL

(Philadelphia County)

Default becoming an FFL

I hope this is in the right forum, if not please feel free to move ito the proper forum, with my apologies.

I have a question about becoming a FFL. How do I go about doing it? What is required for me to become a dealer, and is it possible to become one in Philadelphia? I am not looking to open a gun shop. I just want to be able to purchase guns, with out having to pay an FFL, and I want to be able to build and sell a few ar15's a year, or buy a gun on a good deal and then resell it if a quick few bucks. I think I would more often then not sell them online.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: becoming an FFL

Short list:
    You MUST be a business and meet all local codes for doing such business before the ATF will even consider your application.

(Berks County)

Like Pa. Patriot said they cracked down on FFLs for just the reason you listed.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Chester County)

you better have a license to manufacture as well if you are going to assemble and sell ARs. Even though the lower IS the firearm, the feds require an 11% tax to be collected on COMPLETE firearms and one needs a manufacturing license to do so.

(Jefferson County)

You will need the the following.

Type 07 - MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS other than destructive devices.

18 U.S.C 923(a)(1)(B)

Fee:$ 150 for three (3) years.

Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

Manufacturer of firearms is capable of smithing, selling and transfers too if I remember correctly.

(Lycoming County)

So far everybody is right.
    In addition you must have a seperate area open to the public.
    ATF won't let you work out of your bedroom.
    Don't forget recordkeeping and you better have a PA sales and use tax license and don't screw up with them or you're in big trouble.
    Any violation to any state or local ordinance you're done.
    Also, don't forget to get insurance in case someone sues you. This just happened to a local dealer who was innocent, followed the rules and still lost a wrongful death lawsuit. One of his buyers sold a gun in Phila. that wound up in the wrong hands and a child was killed.

(Centre County)

Don't bother if you are going to use it mainly to buy guns for yourself. The BATFE severly frowns on this and will not issue a license for this. However, if the vast majority of your sales are to the public (like for every 25 guns sold you buy 1) they will not say anything if you purchase for yourself.

Here is some of what you will need:

PA Firearms license
    Any local licenses and/or approvals
    PA sales and Use Tax license
    A storefront business or approval for a home based business from the local government agencies (the BATFE would prefer a storefront, but will give approval for some home based businesses if the loacvals give their approval)
    Federal License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business (either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with this if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)
    Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time) and a federal business tax return.

You really need to give it some serious thought before jumping in. I can just about guarantee that you won't make a lot of money unless you grow the business to be very large.

Any other questions you cann PM me and I'll try to give you an answer stemming from my experiences (I have a gun repair business).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Don't bother if you are going to use it mainly to buy guns for yourself. The BATFE severly frowns on this and will not issue a license for this. However, if the vast majority of your sales are to the public (like for every 25 guns sold you buy 1) they will not say anything if you purchase for yourself.

Here is some of what you will need:

PA Firearms license
    Any local licenses and/or approvals
    PA sales and Use Tax license
    A storefront business or approval for a home based business from the local government agencies (the BATFE would prefer a storefront, but will give approval for some home based businesses if the loacvals give their approval)
    Federal License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business (either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with this if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)
    Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time) and a federal business tax return.

You really need to give it some serious thought before jumping in. I can just about guarantee that you won't make a lot of money unless you grow the business to be very large.

Any other questions you cann PM me and I'll try to give you an answer stemming from my experiences (I have a gun repair business).
    There is a lot of good info there for ya!

Also, if you think you are going to get great prices from the distributers when you buy 1, 2 or 3 guns at a time......Loose your delusion. There are companies online who have listed retail prices close to what a distributer is going to charge you for those small purchases. Also, some distributers will not even sell to you if you don't have a storefront (in-home FFL like me). I don't mean to be harsh, but you need to know the reality of it.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Snyder County)

Sounds easier to just make friends with an FFL than auctually become one. I did have some interest in getting into it (in about 10-15 years) and do some gun smithing and repairs. But getting an FFL sound like a bitch.

(Allegheny County)

-Can you perform gunsmithing without any kind of licensing?
    -Can you assemble buddies AR's (if they supply all the parts)and charge
    them a nominal fee without any licensing?

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; November 29th, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast