Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Scope on a Ruger Blackhawk - beginner help

Hi Guys!

I'm new here and mostly new to firearms. I recently picked up a Ruger Single Six and I've been having a ton of fun shooting it. I can see how this stuff gets addicting...

Anyway, I am looking to get a second revolver in a bigger caliber and the Ruger Blackhawk New Model in a .357 magnum seems like the perfect fit. .44 and .41 are probably too much recoil for me to handle right now, and I want to make sure I learn how to shoot correctly. I'm thinking this would be a great gun for deer hunting, too.

I very much want to put a scope on this one, but this is an entirely new area for me and I can't seem to find much good information on my own searching. My local gun store has a great used Ruger Blackhawk New Model, .357, stainless, 6.5" barrel. It's a beauty! My only concern is that this model comes with the regular adjustable rear sights only. By contrast, I know that the Super Blackhawk Hunter has a scope mount on it, but it only comes in .44

So what are my options for getting a scope on the Ruger Blackhawk? I have found a number of items that claim to be mounts for the Ruger Blackhawk online, but I don't know how to determine if they are legit. Here's a few examples:

This one seems to just attach without drilling and tapping:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=714989

This one seems to require drilling and tapping:
    http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html

So, do I have to drill and tap for this gun? How much would do you think a gunsmith might charge for this? $100? I don't have the tools to do it myself unfortunately.

From looking at the images of the gun and from seeing it in person, it doesn't seem like the rear sight comes off in a way that would allow a scope to go on it, but I could be wrong..

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...ss/models.html

Thank you very much for any help! I'm also open to other .357 hunting-type revolvers that would be easier to mount a scope on. I don't want to spend more than about $500 on the gun itself, though..!

Default Re: Scope on a Ruger Blackhawk - beginner help

You can always get a .44 magnum and shoot .44 special out of it for lighter recoil. Of course you'll still have to practice with the magnums as well so you'll be used to it for hunting.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; October 2nd, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

(Potter County)

I've never been althgether happy with the "no gunsmithing" mounts, although others seem to like them.

I use the Leupold mounts and rings, they do require drilling and tapping, a relatively inexpensive gunsmithing job, but once in place, they don't move or, as some of the clamp on mounts, damage the finish of the gun when they do move under recoil.

Downside is that you are committed to the scope as removing it leaves unsightly holes and lowers resale value.

(Allegheny County)

The no-drill weaver will also mar the barrel where it clamps on. I had a Weigand mount on a Redhawk I used to own and it was very well made. Any reasonably competent gun smith should be able to drill and tap a hole or two for you. I actually had a machinist friend do mine.
    The Lord Bless You