Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default ballistics question

now i dont want to start an argument thread but my buddy asked me a question today, speaking of pistols and the diference between the .45 and the .40 .. he wants to see the ballistic charts comparing them..

i told him that the weight of the .45 naturally makes it the better ( knock down power) but also that the .40 is no slouch and that it is loaded with higher pressures, which should keep it fairly close in (power) in a close combat/ within 17 yards scenario ..

anyone with a chart? or basic info ??

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ballistics question

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    now i dont want to start an argument thread but my buddy asked me a question today, speaking of pistols and the diference between the .45 and the .40 .. he wants to see the ballistic charts comparing them..

i told him that the weight of the .45 naturally makes it the better ( knock down power) but also that the .40 is no slouch and that it is loaded with higher pressures, which should keep it fairly close in (power) in a close combat/ within 17 yards scenario ..

anyone with a chart? or basic info ??
    No chart, No caliber battle.

ALL handgun rounds are puny and you will probably notice no reaction if you had to shoot someone.

Shot placement is key.

.44mag, 45auto,10mm,.40,.357mag, .357sig, 9mm, 38special

Most trainers will suggest not using a caliber below these for self defense.

Learn how to shoot the gun accurately and quickly.

Others may disagree.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Dauphin County)

i agree with shot placement being the main cause of stopping someone , we were just curious as to a ballistics chart to see the difference between the 2 rounds...
    i dont believe i would ever purchase a pistol smaller than a .357 for personal protection, i know allot of people like there 9mm's and im not saying they shouldnt, im just saying i feel beer with a larger bullet

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    No chart, No caliber battle.

ALL handgun rounds are puny and you will probably notice no reaction if you had to shoot someone.

Shot placement is key.

.44mag, 45auto,10mm,.40,.357mag, .357sig, 9mm, 38special

Most trainers will suggest not using a caliber below these for self defense.

Learn how to shoot the gun accurately and quickly.

Others may disagree.

27hand
    Totally agree. As the Box-O-Truth guy likes to say, "rifles are rifles and handguns are handguns". Tell your buddy that when it comes to handguns and "stopping power" (god, I hate that term), shot placement is all that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    i agree with shot placement being the main cause of stopping someone , we were just curious as to a ballistics chart to see the difference between the 2 rounds...
    i dont believe i would ever purchase a pistol smaller than a .357 for personal protection, i know allot of people like there 9mm's and im not saying they shouldnt, im just saying i feel beer with a larger bullet
    If you really think you need some ballistics tables, hornady's website is pretty good. Just choose your caliber from the drop-down list and click on any of the "View Ballistics" links.

(Dauphin County)

thanks fellahs i will check them out