Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default i have a PA/NJ Firearm transport question

My father inlaw lives in North Jersey and i live in Northeast PA, we really want to goto a range together, would i beable to legally transport my firearms to a NJ range or would he beable to meet me in PA at a range legally with Handguns and Rifles or is this going to be one of those deals where if he comes here he shoots my guns and i go there and i shoot his guns.

just wondering how this works, we've been talking about this for awhile but we want to make sure none of us will go to jail and get our firearms conf'ed from us trying to have some clean american fun
    Currently in Open Carry Mode.(ha) Glock 27 .40SW

Default Re: i have a PA/NJ Firearm transport question

does he have a NJ CCW? Have him mail order a PA LTCF from Centre County PA and then come here with no issues to worry about at all.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Monroe County)

There is no issue with your father coming to PA with his guns unloaded and secured in the trunk of the car to shoot. There is also no reason you can't also go to a range in NJ (unloaded and secured in the trunk), but you have to make sure any firearms or magazines you take to NJ are NJ legal. In all truth, it is probably easier to come to PA as it is far less likely to encounter problems on the right side of the river!

later,
    AJ

(Luzerne County)

sounds good, ill just make him come here, and he can meet in stroudsburg or something and throw his guns in my trunk (since i have my LTCF in pa) that would cover me on his rifles right?
    Currently in Open Carry Mode.(ha) Glock 27 .40SW

(Chester County)

LTCF has zero to do with rifles... handguns, sbs, sbr, aow etc.. you dont need a license to transport rifles unloaded in a car to the range in pa, you also may not have loaded rifles in your car in pa even with a LTCF unless they fall under the sbr aow NFA stuff

If you go to NJ, you need to go straight to the range, or straight to the father in laws. From the FIL you would need to go straight to the range. While transporting the weapons they need to be unloaded, in their own case with ammo in a seperate area, not accessible to the driver or any passengers. You can't stop anywhere other than home or the range. (Don't know that I have ever actually NOT stopped anywhere else though, stupid F**kin laws) Good luck and have fun! And oh yea, just have him go to PA, its much less of a hassle!

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

no hollow points or mags over 15 rounds in NJ...(10 rounds in NY)...pistol must be locked somewhere in the trunk or in the rear of an SUV, ammo must be separate and not in mags, if you think it might be a problem or it might be questionable in NJ, don't do it. Come play in the great state of PA.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    no hollow points
    Not true. Hollow points are legal provided they are transported as already stated, ie seperate and not loaded in any mags or guns. Unless something changed recently.

Edit:

From the NJSP

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
    N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."
    Last edited by God's Country; October 10th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

I took that to mean, "no transport through the state" as you are not going hunting or to a range or to your home because you don't live in NJ...its impossible to prove you are going TO a range, though you can prove you are coming FROM one with a recipt...I think there is potential to get jammed up if I am thinking baout this the right way, what do you think?

(Pike County)

The problem with the HP ammo is that the officer is not going to take your word for where you are going, he/she is going to arrest you and let the court handle it. Don't take HP ammo into NJ, it is not worth the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast