Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Post Smith & Wesson - (38Special) Revolver:

Mine is virtually identical to the picture, however without the hammer...which, I muchly prefer...Whats your thoughts on revolvers in general compared to non-revolvers and hammer & non-hammered guns?
    Appreciating your uniquely insightful comments, Sincerely, Winchester!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson - (38Special) Revolver:

I carried my 357 for a long while and was happy with it. Reliability is better on wheelguns, capacity is lower, and the reload rate is lower. To make up for reload rate, find out if moon clips are available for your revolver. They generally are for S&W revolvers. Personally, I prefer the hammer on, unless it's being carried in a pocket. I myself carry my S&W M&P 45 I OC in my Blackhawk Serpa holster that I got from Chris at AA. I like the higher capacity and the quicker reload personally. I can't wait for Chris to get the indoor range open. The Archbald range is quite cold at this point. Have to dress to warm to practice properly.

(Lackawanna County)

Thumbs up Re: Smith & Wesson - (38Special) Revolver:

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    I carried my 357 for a long while and was happy with it. Reliability is better on wheelguns, capacity is lower, and the reload rate is lower. To make up for reload rate, find out if moon clips are available for your revolver. They generally are for S&W revolvers. Personally, I prefer the hammer on, unless it's being carried in a pocket. I myself carry my S&W M&P 45 I OC in my Blackhawk Serpa holster that I got from Chris at AA. I like the higher capacity and the quicker reload personally. I can't wait for Chris to get the indoor range open. The Archbald range is quite cold at this point. Have to dress to warm to practice properly.
    im thinkin of warmin up my S&W this sunday at the archabald range; mabey we could meet up sometime for alittle target shooting? if your up for it!
    Wishin you well, Winchester.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by winchester View Post
    Mine is virtually identical to the picture, however without the hammer...which, I muchly prefer...Whats your thoughts on revolvers in general compared to non-revolvers and hammer & non-hammered guns?
    Revolvers are every bit as effective as auto-loaders for any threats a civilian is likely to encounter.

Some people prefer the concealed hammer because they are less apt to snag on clothing when carried in the pocket. However, some prefer the exposed hammer for the ability to perform a high primer function check.

Others prefer the revolvers with hammer shrouds such as the S&W "bodyguard" which allows access to the hammer yet still retains the "snag-free" feature but these are typically only found on small frame revolvers.

(Westmoreland County)

To make up for reload rate, find out if moon clips are available for your revolver.
    The moon clips are only available for revolvers chambered in auto-loading cartridges.

(Lackawanna County)

Exclamation Re: Smith & Wesson - (38Special) Revolver:

One quick inquiry, I absentmindedly excluded in my previous reply to you;
    Why do you prefer the hammer...Is there any legitamately significant difference? Also I heard theres a potentially hazardous problem with potential misfirings if the hammer catches on something. I never heard of a moon clip. how the heck would that work on 5 chamber revolver.., sounds like a strange device, but interesting, do tell *Grin! I took it upon myself to add you as a friend seeing youve been very helpful and nice to answer my questions, also the fact your a local and we can mabey be shooting pals,
    "Grin"...anyways, let me know if sunday or some othertime is convient for you and I for getting together at archabald range for some target practice!
    Sincerely, Winchester.....

(Lackawanna County)

Thumbs up Re: Smith & Wesson - (38Special) Revolver:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Revolvers are every bit as effective as auto-loaders for any threats a civilian is likely to encounter.

Some people prefer the concealed hammer because they are less apt to snag on clothing when carried in the pocket. However, some prefer the exposed hammer for the ability to perform a high primer function check.

Others prefer the revolvers with hammer shrouds such as the S&W "bodyguard" which allows access to the hammer yet still retains the "snag-free" feature but these are typically only found on small frame revolvers.
    Thanks for the info;
    I approve of the same thoughts regarding the "hammer snag" danger potential. What kind of revolver do you prefer? Ill add a reputation comp to you tomorrow, evidentlly i gave to many out in a 24 hour period today...soo many people have been soo helpful i had to give them props for their genuine interest and useful assistance.. anyways, keep in touch, so we can keep up the gunnery chat, *Grin. Sincerely, Winchester.....

(Lackawanna County)

The moon clips are only available for revolvers chambered in auto-loading cartridges.
    not sure if mine is...S&W 38 special 5chamber revolver no hammer?
    bought it at Advanced Firearms, from Chris...nice guy, so was the other big guy no clue of his name, mabey mike i may of overheard.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by winchester View Post
    One quick inquiry, I absentmindedly excluded in my previous reply to you;
    Why do you prefer the hammer...Is there any legitamately significant difference? Also I heard theres a potentially hazardous problem with potential misfirings if the hammer catches on something. I never heard of a moon clip. how the heck would that work on 5 chamber revolver.., sounds like a strange device, but interesting, do tell *Grin! I took it upon myself to add you as a friend seeing youve been very helpful and nice to answer my questions, also the fact your a local and we can mabey be shooting pals,
    "Grin"...anyways, let me know if sunday or some othertime is convient for you and I for getting together at archabald range for some target practice!
    Sincerely, Winchester.....
    A moon clip is used on revolvers chambered for pistol calibers, such as a 9mm or 45acp. These are also called rimless. The rounds are clipped into the moon clip. The loaded moon clip can then be put into the cylinder. They have the benefit of acting like a speed loader.

The hammer spur allows some revolvers to fire in single action or double action. To fire in single action you would cock the hammer, then pull the trigger. In double action you would just pull the trigger. In single action the trigger pull will take less pressure.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Well not exactly, my 686+ (357 mag) is cut for moonclips. Here's the deal, In order to use moon clips, the cylinder must be machined down to allow the thickness of the moonclip to fit between the cylinder and the frame. There are several places you can have this done. If you are a machinist, then even better.

Here's where I had mine cut. Very nice work
    http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfHKkAAE50

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast