Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ffl transfer

(Philadelphia County)

Default ffl transfer

Hey guys and gals can you help me out?...Where is the cheapest place to do a ffl transfer?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: ffl transfer

If you're in the NE, Myron Cole in Warminster does it for $25. King's Shooter Supplies in KoP/Norristown is also $25 I believe. I usually do my transfer at Choice Firearms in Levittown for about $33, but they charge me $10 for each additional. You can check http://www.gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp and try calling some other places.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

In Philly everyone seems to be around $65 for handguns ATM... for a long gun, Delias on Torresdale will charge you $45.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Philadelphia County)

I'll be watching this thread too...just moved to the city from an AWB state and will be picking up an AK as soon as I've been a resident for 90 days, as req'd by law.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I'll be watching this thread too...just moved to the city from an AWB state and will be picking up an AK as soon as I've been a resident for 90 days, as req'd by law.
    Welcome to the city! I wasn't aware of this requirement regarding purchasing. Does it have anything to do with getting your PA driver's license and establishing your PA residency? Can you cite the source? I know you'll have to have 2 month of bills to apply for LTCF.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

No, no source I can cite; I was just told by The Firing Line that I couldn't buy anything until I had established residency for 90 days. I moved in Sept. 1, picked up my driver's license immediately thereafter, and am just cooling my heels waiting to pick up a WASR.

I already have an PA LTCF (I had a Centre County one as an out-of-state), so good to go there. According to PPD, as long as my drivers license indicated resident status, my prior LTCF was valid now that I had moved to Philly.

Thanks for the welcome, Mythaeus...your posts were helpful to me as I prepared to move to the city.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    No, no source I can cite; I was just told by The Firing Line that I couldn't buy anything until I had established residency for 90 days. I moved in Sept. 1, picked up my driver's license immediately thereafter, and am just cooling my heels waiting to pick up a WASR.

I already have an PA LTCF (I had a Centre County one as an out-of-state), so good to go there. According to PPD, as long as my drivers license indicated resident status, my prior LTCF was valid now that I had moved to Philly.

Thanks for the welcome, Mythaeus...your posts were helpful to me as I prepared to move to the city.
    Maybe you can post the question in the General section about this or call another gun shop to check. I don't believe the 90-day thing especially if you have your DL and LTCF already. Also, in PA, long guns do not need to go through FFL transfers. This means that if you someone has a WASR to sell to you face-to-face, you don't have to wait. (You can exchange DL and LTCF copies along with a bill of sale if you want to have records of the sale for your personal CYA.)

Let me know if you want to hit the range sometimes. I'm a VIP member at Philadelphia Archery & Guns on 8th and Ellsworth. It costs $5 to shoot as a guest of mine, you just need to buy ammo from them.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

For FFL transfers I've been using Dick Hughey, he charges $25. Great guy, I enjoy dealing with him.

Dick Hughey
    Richard Hughey Arms & Accoutrements
    6 Morgan Rd.
    Aston, PA 19014-2524
    email: dickbubba@comcast.net
    phone: 610-497-3487
    fax: 610-497-9447
    cellular: 610-405-1313

Hours: 9:00am-9:00pm, 7 days a week!
    Transfer fee: $25.00

(Philadelphia County)

+1 for Choice Firearms and Dick Hughey.
    I have used both for transfers and both are equally great.

For one at a time, Dick is cheaper ($25 per, no breaks for multiple), but if you do multiple transfers at a time, Cathy at Choice Firearm is cheaper.

Also be advised, some local stores have different prices for FTF transfers and transfers shipped from out of state (i.e. mail order).