Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Unique for rifle loads

I'm out of 4895 and jacketed bullets for my rifles, and am having a bit of trouble finding more. Casting 155 grain 30 cal WW bullets isn't that hard, and the weather is starting to cooperate for that project, but powder is still challenging to find.

Consulting the old Lyman 44th ed I keep here at work, I see that I can use Unique in my 30-30 (8.0 - 11.0 gr), 308 (11.0 - 14.0 gr) and 30-06 (12.0 - 15.0 gr) to push my casts. I realize that these probably won't be the greatest loads I've ever shot, but they should go bang and allow me to continue having trigger time with these rifles.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use the Unique I've got until I can get a better powder choice? When I can look at the newest manual at home, will I find that Unique is no longer listed, and I should just wait until I can get some 4227?

Default Re: Unique for rifle loads

Loads using pistol type powders are often used as 'reduced loads'. Velocity will be reduced. In trying to get velocity up accuracy often suffers. But they will work as plinking loads.

Like any reloading, work up loads to find the sweet spot for your gun.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Cumberland County)

I've loaded 10gr of Unique under 110gr M1 carbine bullets and under 150gr FMJs. Expect about 1600fps with 110gr bullets, slightly less with heavier bullets. The muzzle report and the sound of the bullet flying through the air sound like a 22 magnum. It will turn heads at the range - especially if you follow that round with a full power round - from the same gun.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I've used that (11.0 Unique/150 cast lead ) load in my 30-30 for years, and the accuracy was amazing. Just don't try to push it - @1400-1500fps for hard-cast lead bullets works about right, without significant leading in my old Winchester 94.

However, I found a better load was with the 180grain gas-check from an OLD Lyman mold, sized to .308. I started at 8.0 gr, and went up from there. There was a point where pressure started to show, and I had a few case-head separations, but later decided that it was from being reloaded and shot over 17 or 18 times. Those cases stretch, 1/4" in front of the rim.

I have shot the 180GC in the 308, also, but with extruded powders, and with good results, until I got over @1800fps.

But it IS fun, and it IS cheap.

If you want to try something challenging, load a .308" ROUND BALL in the 30-30, but I forget what powder/charge I was using then. I used it hunting squirrel (strictly on a dare from a friend who stated that it was "impossible"). I actually bagged two with it one afternoon. Had the trajectory of a tossed cinderblock.

Experimentation, that's what this is all about, isn't it?

Flash

I use 7.0 or 7.5 grs (can't remember which) of Unique with a 165 gr LFN .309 bullet in 30-30 for 1250 fps. That works out to 357 energy. Very a curate and no real leading in a Marlin with Micro-Groove barrel.

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys.

I see thumbs-up for 30-30 and 308. Anyone have any experience running Unique in 30-06?