Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suggestion: Thread Locking

I notice a lot of threads simply disappear, and everyone loses posts, and constructive debates and criticism is lost, as well as any possible legal evidence if something were to happen (ie. Someone says IM GOING TO KILL YOU ALL, and goes out and does something stupid)

Is it possible to just close/lock threads instead of spending 10 minutes looking for a thread only to find it went into the bermuda triangle?

Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Suggestion: Thread Locking

There's a subscription option that will notifiy you when a thread has been updated. But I havent really figured it out.

Im not sure if thats what you mean though.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Yeah I know what you mean..

What im talking about though is when theres a thread going with like 5-10 replies, and an admin or op just deletes the thread because of content or something.

Instead of deleting the thread, the thread should be locked/closed and the op post the reason why they are closing it. Its a lot more professional that way. I dont see any other forum actively deleting threads.

This won't lock the thread, but you will find it:

If it's something really hot, or there's information you simply must find again it's possible to save it locally on your machine. With IE- Menu,File,Save As,Web Page (complete). With Mozilla- Menu, Save Page As, Web Page, complete. It will save graphics & links.

That doesnt help

(Bucks County)

Huh?

What threads have been deleted? So far I have only seen one thread locked (I proudly take responsibility for being the reason )

And what the hell does "possible legal evidence" mean?

Maybe our Super M can shed some light?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Huh?

What threads have been deleted?
    I'm pretty sure MD was referring to the "Why Carry a 9mm?" thread, which was just starting to get interesting. One minute, it's a perfectly respectable thread. A little later I get one of those email notifications that a new post is up. I go to the thread -- and it's gone.

I guess it depends on the thread: if the thread got loud and ad hom-filled, maybe just a lock is ok. If anything illegal-advocating is posted, such that it exposes the board to risk -- I can see "disappearing" it.

But I don't know what happened in this case.

I had replied to a post involving the legal way to carry a rifle and ammo in a truck, and it disappeared, taking with it my point that PA law defines "loaded" but only with respect to a "firearm", and rifles don't count as "firearms" under the applicable definition. The statute prohibiting the carrying of loaded rifles actually refers to them as "weapons other than firearms".

So in PA there's no definition of "loaded" that applies to rifles, meaning that it's NOT perfectly safe to carry an unloaded rifle in a case, with some loaded mags in outside (separate) compartments in that same case.

There was at least one earlier thread on the same point, where Jay Bell had made many of the same points, except for the definitional vacuum.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I had replied to a post involving the legal way to carry a rifle and ammo in a truck, and it disappeared, taking with it my point that PA law defines "loaded" but only with respect to a "firearm", and rifles don't count as "firearms" under the applicable definition. The statute prohibiting the carrying of loaded rifles actually refers to them as "weapons other than firearms".

So in PA there's no definition of "loaded" that applies to rifles, meaning that it's NOT perfectly safe to carry an unloaded rifle in a case, with some loaded mags in outside (separate) compartments in that same case.

There was at least one earlier thread on the same point, where Jay Bell had made many of the same points, except for the definitional vacuum.
    I was about to say I've never seen a thread disappear, but then I looked for the one you just mentioned as I replied to it as well. It's gone. The cookie thread monster musta got it.

(Bucks County)

I usually fall on the side of openness and letting the chips fall may they will. I feel that some of us are way to sensitive. When I see how eaisly offended some member get over the silliest of issues I really wonder how they get through the day in the real world and what kind of life they lead that they can get around without constantly crying and calling mommy just because somebody pulled their pigtails. But that's just me.

I'm also against any deleting and closing threads. That said I believe that Dan has every right to delete, close and ban as he wants. However, if he wants this community to grow then I think he has a responsibility to inform all why a thread was deleted or closed. If the action was justified then fine but I for one would not like to see this place run by a few elites with only approved group think allowed to be posted.

The reason I'm surprised about this is because so far Dan has seemed very open, fair and straight shooting. I find it very hard to believe that threads are closed / deleted just for the hell of it so I will not judge until all of the facts are in.
    Last edited by phillyd2; January 7th, 2007 at 12:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast